Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpr1979

Please help with exterior house design!

cpr1979
9 years ago

Hi All,

My wife and I are having trouble creating curb appeal with our house and was hoping someone on this forum could help. Any photoshoping of ideas is welcome! The window in that is in the center is the living room and the windows to the right and left are both bedrooms. Would it be a bad idea to increase the window size of the bedroom on the right to the same size as the living room? (48x96 I believe)

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• mag77
    9 years ago

Nice house, I like 50s architecture. The windows don't bother me, although the left one should have been shorter so it doesn't crowd the roof line. Speaking of the roof line, I'd put on a wider gable board to give more emphasis to the shape - the sweeping, asymmetrical roof is a signature feature of these houses, so I'd make it stand out. I'd track down whoever put the meter box by the front door and have them shot. I'd put most of my effort into the drive and the landscaping. Keep only as much asphalt as you absolutely need for parking. Move the shrubs to the curb so they'll make the yard a little "pocket garden." My opinion is free and worth every penny. ;-)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Was the left originally a carport?
    I dunno, I don't think the bigger window looks better

• cpr1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great thanks everyone for the follow up. The left was a carport and the driveway is due to the city planing regulations.

Here is a more updated picture. We covered the electrical box and are planning on adding new vinyl widows in the spring. I think the larger widow looks better as well.

Do you think there are any issues having such a large window in the bedroom?

Maybe add a faux stone facade along the bottom of the house to create separation?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Could you pull the driveway away from the house and do some planting? Create a little walkway?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

We were cross posting. I think the house looks much better already with your changes. I don't think it needs the bigger window necessarily. I think it looks fine as is.

• cpr1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is what I was thinking. Any other ideas? Do you approve?

{{gwi:2137143}}

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I don't think the stacked stone does very much for the house. It's not the right style of house for it, and it's already a long, low house and the stone makes it seem like that's where the floor level is on the inside, so it makes the house seem squatter. I think it looks fine with the single material on the outside.

Would something like this be possible window-wise?

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I have to agree with pamplisest. This is a cool midcentury home. I would embrace that aspect of it. I dont think the door works for that style of home. I dont think the stone works either.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

A larger bedroom window can lead to 2 challenges:
    1. Less wall space to put furniture
    2. Larger window treatment to keep it covered for privacy.

Whether those challenges are worth the benefit of window symmetry is your call.

• cpr1979
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

I think Pamplisest had a great idea with extending the bedroom window on the right hand side. It should not be too expensive to do and will give the living room and bed room more symmetry. I might even be able to keep the blinds.

The left window will most likely have to stay due to cost.

The new windows will most likely be white vinyl which is not ideal but the most cost effective solution.

I'll keep looking for a new storm door. Maybe something in a dark wood similar to the attached file.

{{gwi:2137145}}

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

If you can't change the window to larger, maybe you can balance it with shutters or something... but a look on Google at mid century homes, most seem to have all different sized windows. They didn't matchy match back then; they built more from the use inside out. The door color could change to a contrasting color. I guess people here are liking the exterior siding but I am not a fan of the vertical. But I guess it's in keeping with the style. Also the people who said no to stone. Actually, there are a lot of mid century homes WITH stone; and a lot with brick too. Most of the homes have a mixture of the two. I think it'd be beautiful and you could do a fence of wide wood horizontal planks.... Contrasting color on the roof line and around door and windows... Maybe plant some square boxes of flowers.... you could do that under that bedroom window to balance it if you can't make that larger. Look online for homes to see what they did. Go through the neighborhood to find others and maybe get ideas. Attached a photo of one that is a little like your home. That's how they updated. That wood fence/partition in front is very mid century and in vogue right now.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

There are a lot of midcentury houses with stone, true. but that high-water pants style of stone around the bottom is pure 1990s and later neo-eclectic McMansionish.

If there *were stone on a house like this, and I am not completely recommending it, it would look something like this:
    (And this may sound bossy, but don't try to "fight" the house. It's a charming sort of modest front gabled rancher and trying it make it look like something else would mean a lot of work. Tacking on 2000s details would be like a good looking 50 year old wearing something that a 20 year old might get away with. Even if she is in great shape, it rarely looks flattering.)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I would install cedar shingles on the front facade perhaps alternating a 5"course with a 2" one to create a strong horizontal emphasis. The house is too low for vertical design elements and I don't recommend adding fake stone at the bottom.

Of course the electric panel and meter need to be moved first. I would not just cover them up.

• msjay2u
    9 years ago

I love what you did so far and the new door would make it pop, perhaps in a bright color? I would also add some low flowering hedges by the fence to bring in some color. Thats all you are missing is color.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If you can't raise the roof at the old carport, I suggest leaving the facade alone and adding a planter box to separate the driveway from the house and hide the awkward window that is too close to the low roof rake.