Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand Towel Ring mounting blocked by duct

Posted by sdiver2489 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 24, 13 at 12:13

I am near completion of a bathroom upgrade. I was about to hang a hand towel ring to the wall when my stud finder reported a very wide stud area. I looked through my construction pictures of my house and found that there is a oval duct going up through the wall right where we want to mount the towel ring. Can I use a drywall anchor with sheet metal screw to attach this still or am I just SOL??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand Towel Ring mounting blocked by duct

what type of duct?
supply duct? return duct?
flex? sheet metal
or panned ( wall cavity used as duct)??

answer is don't know with so little
description. post the construction pic.

best of luck.

o

Hi.
How about spanning the studs with a real nice looking piece of wood that will go good with your decor then mount the towel ring on the wood.
Woodbutcher

o

Hi sorry thought I specified. Hot air duct made of ovular sheet metal. I'll post the construction pic

o

here is the picture

o

Oval is usually exhaust venting and if so, it's incorrectly strapped.
Select another location.

o

could be but not always.

hang on stud to right.
putting a hole in the duct won't support the
towel rack & will be a forever leakage
site on the duct.

best of luck..

o

Looks like you could go a couple of inches to the left or right of the center of the duct and have clearance for a drywall anchor. Drill a 1/16" hole just through the sheetrock, probe by hand with the bit to see what clearance you have, and put in the anchor...or move it a few inches to a better position. The sryle of anchor in the link below is pretty solid and doesn't require much depth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anchor

o

From my experience I've found drywall anchors don't hold up over time when they're the only thing holding up towels bars/rings. The anchor eventually becomes loose from the constant use of the towel.

I'd look for another spot to mount the towel holder or buy a decorative towel stand/holder that sits on the counter.

o

annz-
You're right that many drywall anchors fail, particularly those crappy, expanding plastic ones. The type I showed in my link have secured towel racks and TP holders without a problem for the last 10 years in my house. Another secure mounting technique is a molly bolt. However, nothing is as good as a stud.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here