Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellykath_gw

Help... This looks ridiculous - HELP !

kellykath
14 years ago

O.k. I just don't know what to do. Instead of blaming someone, we just need to come up with a solution. This baywindow (previously added about 10 yrs. ago) has a new facia that does not look good. I do not like how it hugs the window . . . see below. We have several hip roofs and as someone did not account for the 'enclosed eaves' that we will now have, AND the roof was not adjusted 'pitchwise', we have an issue as you can see. Does anyone have any suggestions that will make this look right? I do not want to get rid of the bay as it accomodates a couch in my living room giving me added space due to the room being fairly narrow. We are going to enclose the ceiling of the porch/entry. However there will not be a side window to the entry even though it shows one. I just don't have a good solution to this and don't want to completely redo the whole roofline. I hate the way this look though. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (19)

• karen_belle
    14 years ago

Kellykath, your picture did not post. I posted a few pics for you in the thread I started last week -

• kellykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope these pics post this time, 2nd times a charm I hope.
    Any photo shop or dormer suggestions appreciated. I need to get this right without having to redo the whole dang roof line.

• kellykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Again, hope someone out there has some great idea!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://photobucket.com/kellykathbay

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

That's a tuff call! Typically when the bay walls have height above the header of the window, you can have extended overhangs not interferring with the plane of the window and not blocking the view/ light. In your case, the bay walls extended up would be addressed by having a hip/vally'd roof tying into the plane of the existing roof. The bay would have it's own seperate rooflines tying into the existing. The problem lies in tying the overhang/facia from the other perpindicular roof decently into the bayed overhang/facia. with a valley tied into the hip. Seems like this is something you will have to live with unless you can line up a decent framer that has extensive roof framing exoerience who can visualize tying this all in and most importantly, keep a decent drainage plane concerning the roof where it can be properly flashed by the roofer pulling it all off where it doesn't look like it was all hacked in. A challenge for the best framer/carpenter, for sure!

• kellykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks sierraeast, I might just have to take out the bay window (which is there for a couch) as the living room area is so narrow. I hate to do that, but it would be a shame to have to look at what looks like a mistake every time I drive up to the house.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

Kelly:
    How's this problem going? I know nothing about rooflines but have total sympathy for you. It does look awkward but someone must have some experience with rooflines! Bumping this up....maybe post on another forum too?

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

I wouldn't throw in the hat just yet. The bay would look awesome if you extended the wall height above the window and framed out it's own hip and valley roof. It's tying in the other roofline that is complicated. You might be able to reduce the overhang of the other roofline coming in by stepping it back where it will tie in at the side of the bay's overhang line. You might try scale drawing several top views of the rooflines to get you a better visual.

• kellykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to those that have posted. I have a friend of ours who is in the home building business who is going to take a look at this. I am still awaiting someones brilliant idea/s! Keep them coming please. Kelly

• karen_belle
    14 years ago

Kelly, those two roofs are indeed funny looking together, never mind the bay window. Is that a chimney coming out of the roof behind the bay? That might make things much more complicated.

Are the two ridge lines at the same height?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Ouch. I have total sympathy for you....I agree something needs to change. It's a very weird fascia. Can you find an architect to hire for a really quick consult? Friend of a friend or something? I definitely think it would be worth a few hundred bucks on a consult to come up with a more elegant solution.

How did this happen in the first place?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

I can't view your pics; they don't display for me, for some odd reason. Would some helpful soul directly post them here?
    I'd like to take a look and try to help.
    Casey

• sierraeast
    14 years ago

See if this works

Here is a link that might be useful: ranch

• kellykath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Sierraeast, I had a hard time getting the two previous pics to post so I appreciate your assistance. With regard to the chimney . . . it is fairly far back (it will also be extended due to the higher peak that we now have. I will attempt to take some better pics tomorrow for a better perspective. I like the idea of raising the bay somewhat and tying it in on the side somehow. I have been looking at roofs everywhere and this situation has me overly worried for sure.

To answer your question of "how did this happen.. ."? Our architect who drew the plans detailed on the plans that the eaves were to be enclosed (which was what we wanted). However, he forgot to take into account that several years earlier we added a bay window to get some depth in our fairly narrow living room. At that time, bumping out the bay shortened the eaves somewhat. Although it was brought to his attention that the roofline would need to be somewhat modified to accomodate proportionate distance from the window, our builder brought it to our attention this was not the case. I don't want to point any fingers at this point, what is done is done - - I want to solve the problem. We have run into numerous problems on windows, transom sizes, etc. but have been able to correct them.

If we enclosed the eaves as detailed on the plans, The eave would actually hit the window. We changed the porch entry area to make it more proportionate with the house/gargage roof. We have several hip roof areas and they all seem look fine but this bay is horrible. I am not a designer or architect obviously so I hope my explanation was fairly informative/understandable. Keep up the good ideas!!! They are soooooooo appreciated.

• kellykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, 16 months later and just an update for those that have helped. The bay window/roof area was redesigned and completed. As soon as I get some time, I will post some pics of its completion. I appreciate those that helped with this issue or just added their ideas/opinions! Thanks again.

• kellykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This was our solution . . .

• kellykath
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The "before" pic was deleted so here is one view prior to being modified.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

Looks much better!

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

It all planes in nicely now. Good job!

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

It all planes in nicely now. Good job!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews