rdwngs14

End dishwasher panel

Rdwngs14
9 years ago

Hi,
I have U shape kitchen and at one of the end I am placing a dishwasher,
I am wondering how I can add an end dishwasher panel,
to be very strong.
Also I am planning to put granite counter top .
Please advise

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Install metal "L" brackets at the wall and floor.

• User
    9 years ago

You typically join a filler ripped to 1 1/2 and a panel to create an shallow U shaped piece that supports the countertop. Add a ledger board at the rear at the top alignment height with the base cabinets. Place rigid foam insulatioon into the cavity to reduce sound echo.

XXXX
    x

x

x

x

x

XXXX

• mag77
    9 years ago

The granite installers should mount a metal dishwasher bracket from the front top of the end panel across to the front top of the next cabinet - this provides a place to fasten the dishwasher mounting screws, and will help hold the end panel. Also, they'll run a bead of adhesive on top the end panel to further secure it to the granite. Talk to them to make sure they do. Beyond that, screw a 1x2 or 1x4 to the wall across the back to support the granite, put another vertically to secure the side of the panel, then fasten the bottom of the end panel by nailing it to a 1x1 strip screwed to the floor.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Most modern dishwashers are designed to be fastened to cabinet/panels through the sides rather than the top.

• mag77
    9 years ago

>

Thanks, I had no idea! I've always used the metal top brackets with granite.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I hope you can see this - to the far far right is the builtin refrigerator, so we also needed a way to support the counter to the right of the dishwasher. We installed an L-shaped piece, looks like a narrow filler in the front, about 1-1/2" wide, and from front to back it's a 3/4" panel.

Picture{{gwi:807}} 1 is how it looks with the dishwasher open. I'll post another which will show how it looks with the dishwasher closed.

This post was edited by sjhockeyfan on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 13:23

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Picture 2

• mag77
    9 years ago

>

Oh, man - that's tidy, almost too tidy. I'd worry about humidity, change of season, a butterfly hiccup. It can't be wood veneer, right? What's the counter? Silestone?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

The lower cabinets are melamine over plywood . The counters are 3cm Ceasarstone. I live in San Francisco - we don't have change of seasons LOL!

• mag77
    9 years ago

Lucky you! One of the world's great cities. I have dear friends in Bernal. I know if I bring a tee shirt and a light jacket, I'm prepared for the most extreme heat or cold.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

OT - funny thing is its freezing to us right now - mid 40s!