Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Loft on bedroom for long size bed?

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 10:19

My bed takes up 3/4 of my bedroom. There is also a chest, dresser and desk. I work at home and don't have space or a room for an office, so the desk in my bedroom is my 'office.' I can barely walk through the room.

I have been toying with the idea if building a loft in my room to elevate the bed. Then my office could be under it. I had a twin loft in college many years ago and have been thinking about how much it 'expanded' my dorm room.

I've seen many online sites with pictures of how people have built really stylish lofts that don't look dorm like.

My concern is that my house only has 8' ceilings. I am 6' tall. That only gives me 2' of loft space. I have a very thick mattress - at least 18". I think I'd have to make the loft lover to the floor, which would mean I'd have to stoop over to wall under it.

Any creative ideas? Don't suggest a smaller bed. I invested a ton of $ in my mattress (due to back issues) and it is very comfy. It has taken me many mattresses bought over many years to find one that doesn't hurt my back & I don't want to change it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Loft on bedroom for long size bed?

Look outside the bedroom for creating an office space. In your situation, you do not have enough room to do a loft without making it too cramped to use as a bedroom and an office. At least it barely functions for you now.

o

Do you have a big closet in your room....if so, put one of your peices of furniture in there....the chest OR make the closet your office and put your desk in there....I have seen it done and it works very well for small bedrooms. OR could you turn your bed into a murphy bed....one that folds up onto the wall? Of course when you lower the bed the floor would have to be clean and unobstructed.

o

How about a Murphy bed? We love ours. Some let you combine bed and desk space. Be aware, too, that you don't need a loft (if you go that route) tall enough to walk under, just tall enough to sit under. Google desk under loft. Below are some Murphy bed desk combos in the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Murphy bed desk combos

o

I had a loft in grad school. It was not very high, and I used the space under it for storage. I did not "go under" except on those occasions that I needed to access the less used items. The accessible side (it was a twin in a corner) had a chest of drawers and a rod for hanging clothes. (The closet in my room was tiny by any standards in the last 80 years.) To get to the infrequently used stuff, I had to compress the hanging clothes and 'crawl' behind (a la The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.)

It sounds like you might n�ed to have yours a bit lower. Depending on your layout, putting your dresser under one side and office storage or side desk on the other, might free up some space. Some pictures, dimensions, and how you use your office space would help me (and probably others) give you feedback.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here