Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
making a door jam 'smoother' for barn type sliding door

Posted by ilmbg (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 12 at 9:47

I am wanting to change my closet door to a 'sliding barn door' style. Currently, with the trim off, the door frame is exposed with the drywall about 1 " from the edge, plus the wood part of the frame showing. I assume I need to make this all drywall??
Without having little 'strips' of drywall at both sides of the door, and the 5" piece that runs on the 'interior' of the frame, how do I get a plain, smooth look?
(I almost need a 'cap', that is 7' tall!
HELP!!
Thanks
I want the sliding door because it is a door jam in that corner....
I found 'Johnson Door' products that I can use, then make some sort of decorated 'hinge'....?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: making a door jam 'smoother' for barn type sliding door

We left the casing on (or more accurately, we trimmed out the doors, as they were new openings). The doors clear the trim.

Photobucket

o
RE: making a door jam 'smoother' for barn type sliding door

weedy- Thanks, the door moldings have been a worry to me. I have been thinking that the door would not clear if they were left on. I like the look of more modern/no casing, but that will be another day/another house...
I am relieved to know the sliding door will pass over the moldings.
Thank you
OH- your home looks very nice- light, clean colors!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here