Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beden_gw

Hardwood floor nails won't go in???

beden
11 years ago

I'm installing floor. Was told wood is taun wood with cherry stain. 3/4". Tried two different compressors, two diff. hoses three diff. guns, 2" and 1 1/2" cleat nails, 2" staples set pressure all way from 80 psi to 150 psi. Oiled guns. Nails and staples won't go in far enough. Tried on subfloor and other wood and it goes all the way in. Tried on scrap with a piece of flooring thinking it was subfloor same bad result. Not on a slab. 3/4 plywood and 1 by 8 underneath. Any ideas. Now I have to hit in with a set on each nail. Taking forever this way. Please help with any ideas of what I might have wrong. Thanks. P.s. also using correct spacing plate with gun.

Comments (14)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Are you striking the nailer hard enough?

It still takes a decent blow.

I actually prefer a dead blow hammer over a rubber mallet

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Hose diameter and length?

Small diameter or long hoses can create enough pressure drop once the air starts moving to result in shallow fasteners.

• beden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm definitely hitting it hard. So frustrated I hit it so hard the plate on the gun is leaving dents so I toned it down a bit but still hitting it hard enough to drive the nail with out a compressor. I'm using 1/4 ID hose that is only 10' in length. I also tried a 20' hose that came with the compressor. It was rated at 250 psi. The 10' is 300 psi. I appreciate the ideas and will try a bigger diameter hose. I work construction and watched the carpenters and the hose I have is the one they use. Mine is much shorter than the ones they use. Any other thoughts will be much appreciated.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Never heard of "taun". But many tropical hardwoods are extremely hard. Some require predrilling. Slow going.

• beden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never heard of taun either. Bought it from lumber liquidators. Thought it was cherry when I bought it but now after the problems I have been having they tell me it's taun with Malacan cherry stain.. Maybe I spelled it wrong but that's actually how they said it was spelled. They said it was 40% harder than oak. They also said they never had this problem. Had it with bamboo and exotic woods but said this was a common floor. I don't believe it is very hard because I dropped the nail set I have had to use to drive the nails from 12" and it stuck in the plank. Can't see this floor lasting very long. Unfortunate being I tried to buy a hard floor that would last a while. All it's been is problems. Pre drilling is possible but it would take much longer to do that and line up the nail gun than just blast away and go back and sink the nails. Thanks. I very much appreciate the help and time you took to help me. This floor is going to kill me yet.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" 1/4 ID hose"

That is very likely the issue.

try at least 3/8 or 1/2 in hose.

• musica
    10 years ago

beden - I just got a taun sample and I absolutely love it. I came across your post and was wondering how did everything go finally? How do you like the floors so far?

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There are forums dedicated to Lumber Liquidator problems, musica. Beware of engineered floors generally. Do lots of research before investing.

• beden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Listen to snookums2. My problems with install were completely my fault. After figured out what was doing wrong, floor went in and looked beautiful. It turns out to be very soft. It's so bad u can't use it at all. Dents very bad, extremely easy. I will have to replace it. I am actually looking into legal alternatives right now. Do yourself a favor. There's a reason they are cheap and it's not just because they buy in bulk. This was my experience. Whatever u do, make sure it's hard enough. Hit it with things u might drop and see how bad damage is. Before I knew my floor was junk it looked so nice my parents went and bought flooring from them. Different floor style and same result. Junk floor. Hope this helps. Sorry to disappoint but hope u didn't buy it yet. Good luck.

• oakstar7101
    10 years ago

Every framer roofer finisher my self included uses 1/4 " lines up to 200' with no problems ever....the compressor is maybe set wrong or , most pneumatic tools have a depth adjustment

• bzimmy177
    7 years ago

Are you nailing the wrong side?

• HU-852229505
    last year

I know it's been 8 years since you had this problem but my husband is having the same issue with his Dewalt pneumatic flooring nailer. You never commented how how you fixed the problem and I was wondering if you would let us know. The compressor is working well and the nailer is brand new and we used it without any problem with other rooms in the house. But for some reason it's not firing the nail all the way into the hardwood flooring. However, it will fire it all the way into another thicker piece of wood. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

• Greg Deutschlander
    3 months ago

It’s the subfloor that you’re putting the hardwood on. Overlay the subfloor with 1” plywood and the problem will go away.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA