Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mustardtiger_gw

Split Entry Mudroom addition?

Mustardtiger
10 years ago

Hello, all! I am a long time lurker around here and this is my first post!

My husband and I bought our first home a few years ago. It is a typical late 70s split entry bi level home. We are happy with the size of the home and most of the interior living space, however, the front entry is atrocious and lacks any sort of storage space for coats/shoes etc.

I am wondering what we would be getting into if we were to put a mud room addition on the front? I know absolutely nothing about additions except from what I have gleaned on here; namely that expensive foundation work may be required since the entry is at ground level.

Basically I want to add a room right in front of the current entry. What sort of thing would I be getting into here? I am thinking a small room would be fine but I have read that it may be more worthwhile to add more space since it would be expensive - we dont really need all that much more space though....

I have worked on the garden to help hide the hideousness and we are planning on painting and replacing the shutters and exterior lights as well. I am more interested in finding out about what physical procedures would be involved in a project like this.

Any ideas?

Comments (12)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Bob Vila did this on a home and it seemed to be very functional and attractive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkG8wRnQ9TA

Here's a youtube video and a link to the project. Hope this helps :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• Mustardtiger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the bob vila link. That is exactly what I am thinking of doing. If there were a few more feet of room inside my split entry landing I could work some interior design magic and make storage space but there is literally no room for anything at all!

Thanks!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I think it's a great idea...and it gives you an 'air lock' for cold winter winds or hot summer days. The storage is nice, too...I'd love to add a vestibule :)

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Check out the link below for more ideas and visuals. I would like to see something that works with the roof line and adds some architecture.
    Kinda like this:

[Beach Style Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2110) by La Grange Park Architects & Designers Fergon Architects, LLC
    or this:

[Transitional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2112) by Point Pleasant Beach Architects & Designers Richard Bubnowski Design LLC

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/vestibule-phbr0lbl-bl~l_38862)

• Kernel009
    10 years ago

That Bob Vila video is awesome - thanks for posting it lavender_lass - I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread! It's just what my wife and I have been looking for...

We had planned to replace our door and make a new larger porch (approx. 9x10) this year but the foyer behind that door is just plain useless... it's about 4x7 and filled with jackets and shoes and just plain messy! We've been remodeling top to bottom since 2007 and the foyer is the one thing we are constantly complaining about.

The only thing I'm concerned about if we go with a mudroom approach is that our door is not level with the ground like in the video - so if anyone has any other pics or videos to share that are remodels to houses similar to the pic I am posting, please share! That pic in a previous reply with an expanded foyer is an interesting option as well... we just need to figure out what looks best.

Mustardtiger, when you make the changes (perhaps you did already?) I'd live to see pics.

Thanks!

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Hi,

Good to see some ideas going on this style of house. They are tricky to work with. I love the idea Lavender posted (Bob Vila). I can't open the pinterest link posted by rocky bird, can others open it?

We are in the throws of building an addition on our split-foyer. We did add a little bit to the foyer, wish it could have been more. However, our foyer after the build is complete will only be a guest entrance. Our family will enter via the garage man door and into a generous sized mudroom. All family coats, shoes, knapsacks etc. will be in this basement mudroom. I don't even plan to give the kids a key to the front door, so they are forced to enter via the garage to the mudroom LOL.

Here are my thoughts on split entry foyers for what is worth from a person who has ripped hers apart and is rebuilding it.

1) Avoid having family enter through front door and having their stuff dropped in that tiny foyer. Try for another family entrance (maybe through garage to basement level? or a side or back door)

2)Consider an extra wide staircase going up (ours is 4 and a half feet) and a narrower one going down (ours is 42 inches here). This way the larger staircase invites company to go up. Also with the wide staircase a person can sit on the stairs, and put shoes on, while another can pass by.

3)Consider putting an extra tall door (8 foot) for those foyers that typically are a floor and a half in height (12 feet). It fits the space better and lets extra light in if you have a transom above or glass in the door. In our case, the door draws more attention to itself as the garage protrudes and partially conceals the front door.

4)Consider beefing up and beautifying the exterior steps. Our new steps are concrete stringers, and soon to be installed stone risers/threads. The landing is also stone resting on a concrete platform

5)Put a forgiving flooring material on the interior steps so you can walk on it with boots, etc and it becomes an extensions of your foyer space in a way that a carpet can not. We will have hard wood steps.

6)Open up the wall between the living room and staircase wall. Also, endeavor to have the top of the stairs going down open to a railing. This way there is an illusion of more space

I would love to hear your ideas on how to use trim to bring down the height of the ceilings in these tiny, tall ceiling spaces. I keep thinking something creative like chair rail or something might make the wall heights more in keeping with the tiny space. In other words, anything that makes the interior foyer space look less like an elevator shaft would be good.

Best of luck all split-foyer owners.

Carol

• Mustardtiger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice replies all. This style IS tricky. I think we are at least a year out before we get into a project like this though. Right now our #1 project is hiding unsightly copper piping in the basement den (replacing with PEX and hiding under crown molding!) then removing the oil tank (replacing with propane if the $ doesnt get too insane) so that we can make the laundry room into a master bath AND THEN maybe we will look at the outside of the house :)

I really like the second pic annz posted. It is close to what I have in mind!

Kernel, you could probably do something like that as well since it is elevated. You could even turn that blank space above your door into something interesting architecturally.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Our split is a little different - the garage is out in front. This picture isn't great, because the birch tree is in the way, but the foyer extends out in front of the house. It's 8'x8', with a door into the garage, and a coat closet. Ideally I'd like to see it a couple of feet bigger in at least one direction, but it's not a big enough issue to actually remodel to get it. I do have room for a small bench in the foyer.

• cebaan
    6 years ago

Would love to know how your project ended up, both design and cost. We are looking at doing the same thing to our 1978 split entry. Any guidance and tips much appreciated!

• megpeck
    3 years ago

I also want to add an addition to my entry. Id like to extend the front wall out about 5 feet to allow more room when you walk in the house. Wondering how this is going to look. I think I would add a peak to make it flow with the style of the house. Feedback?

• Anita
    3 years ago

finding this thread just now, has anyone completed this project? We are looking to do the same.