Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Moving Closet Rod Support

User
10 years ago

Can someone please tell me how this closet rod support was installed when the house was built? The vertical cleat is not attached to a stud. I need to move it, but can't figure out how to attach the cleat to the wall. If I move it to a stud, will screwing it top and bottom to the stud be adequate?

Thank you!

Comments (4)

• homebound
    10 years ago

A couple finish nails, then caulked prior to painting. To keep the job simple, remove the bracket if you have to, but leave the cleat. Cut another one for the new location (that's 1 x 4). Just need a couple nails to secure it, no stud needed for the short vertical piece (whereas the horizontal piece does need more substantial support to carry the weight). Why are you moving it, anyway?

This post was edited by homebound on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 10:02

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@homebound - I am sooooo not understanding this. It goes against all my experience in making things more difficult than need be. Finish nails through 1x4 into dry wall? I keep envisioning the bottom caving in 1/16th of an inch, day-by-day, until I can fish my arm down into the wall cavity and retrieve all the trash left during construction...

You just made my day!

• homebound
    10 years ago

@javachick - No problem. Sounds like you're fine. The wood (vertical cleat where lower part of bracket is secured) distributes the force of the bracket that's pushing into the wall...sort of like using snow shoes in deep powder. It won't go through the wall unless you're maybe stacking cases of gold bars on that shelf. :)

This post was edited by homebound on Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 10:15

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the gold bars were the reason for changing the brackets. I could have hired someone to move the brackets, but then they would have seen the gold bars and who knows how much they would have charged then! Thanks for the "support"!