Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/2 bath dimensions

Posted by radioguy4ever (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 18, 06 at 8:18

well, my wife now wants to add a 1/2 bath when we do our kitchen remodel... thought about putting it in an area wheren the door would be in the living room but the actual bathroom would be in the kitchen. the only problem is the limited amount of space.

what should the absolute minimum dimensions be for just a toilet and pedastal sink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/2 bath dimensions

30x60 I wouldn't put a bathroom off a livingroom.

o

"I wouldn't put a bathroom off a livingroom."

unfortunatly it is the ONLY place to out it, and we cant have it open up into the kitchen... theres just no room!

o

I wouldn't put a bathroom door in the living room either. Do you have a pantry type closet or area that could be swapped for a 1/2 bath?

o

A bathroom door into the living room isn't very attractive, it should be off a hallway, kec makes an excellent suggestion about the closet.

o

Agree with 30 x 60 as a bare minimum. I made mine 32 x 72 and with a toilet and pedestal sink it doesn't feel cramped.

Have you considered a pocket door? It might make a difference as it wouldn't intrude into the kitchen, that being the lesser evil vs. opening into the dining room.

o

Hard to know without a plan

o

ITS TRICKY BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH ITS A BIG HOUSE, ITS NOT LAID OUT VERY WELL...OUR OPTIONS ARE HAVE THE DOOR OPEN INTO THE LIVING ROOM OR HAVE IT OPEN INTO THE KITCHEN AND WHERE IT WOULD OPEN IS AT A 90 DEGREE ANGLE FROM THE ENTRY INTO THE KITCHEN...

MAYBE I WILL SNAP SOME PICS TODAY AND POST THEM TOMORROW...

o

Is your capslock key stuck?

Do you really need this 1/2 bath? I think having it open into the living room or kitchen seems like a bad idea.

o

I'm with greg, do you need it the half bath? My son's first house was a townhome, full bath upstairs, half bath down, it opened into the living room. He got it at a great price, so great that he could overlook the half bath that opened into the living room, when he went to sell it, had to sell it at a great price as well, the biggest turn off for prospective buyers was -- bathroom that opened into living room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here