Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvncannin

Considering strange home remodel

luvncannin
9 years ago

I have purchased an acre with an old building which I have been wondering if it would be viable for a remodel.
It is an old slaughterhouse. Its 2 story concrete block concrete flooring and at least 40 years old. There is a beautiful large window facing NW overlooking the Caprock. I envision a loft type area but I am really not sure if this is possible. I am not a builder but my father was and he taught me the basics so my son and I would do most of the labor ourselves. Whether I make it livable or for storage use it has to be completely gutted and rewired and replumbed. There is a large building with smaller rooms attached and 2 huge walk in coolers.
My dad would have loved a remodel like this. It is what he enjoyed the most. I guess I got that passion too I just don't have the knowledge of how to that he did
Thanks for any input on this idea.
Kim

Comments (29)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

''I just don't have the knowledge of how to '' says it right there. If you've got plenty of time, plenty of money, and view this as a hobby to keep you busy, and are willing to accumulate tools and knowledge over a series of smaller projects, then it's probably a good bet that it will be rewarding to you to take this on. It does sound interesting to rehab. But extremely challenging.

If you have limited funds, limited time, and need this for an actual residence anytime soon, then this is a big regret in the making. And a financial disaster.

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I currently have a nice home as part of my salary but looking to move on my land where I will be gardening. It will be a slow learning project and many of the materials will be reclaimed. I have a huge shop to store everything. I will be working the land first. And gathering supplies. I figure the biggest expense will be plumbing and electrical since it has to be completely redone. When I said completely gutted I mean the uh metal hook system for moving the cattle through the building. Other than that its just trashy. Oh and I will have to relocate my owls.
    kim

• worthy
    9 years ago

Certainly a feasible hobby.

Large abattoirs have been repurposed, most notably those in Nashville.

Historic abattoirs even had striking architecture, such as the Toronto Municipal Abattoir, below, with its four Italiante towers.

{{gwi:2137030}}

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Sounds like an interesting project. One thing I would be concerned about with such a structure would be the amount of money and effort it will take to end up with a well insulated, weatherized, energy efficient structure. If you are going to be living in it and want affordable utility bills, this should be assessed at the beginning.

• mag77
    9 years ago

Sounds like a lot of hard work, but you might be able to pull off something special. Check with your local code and zoning departments and make sure what you want to do is legal. If they give you a green light, get a structural engineer to look at the building and let them know how you plan to modify it.

• Fori
    9 years ago

...we want photos! :)

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is a very good point about hiring an engineer to evaluate the building. That might be my biggest expense since we 100 miles to the closest large city. We don't have any local codes here as long as I don't dig a well I can do whatever I want.
    I had pictures and cant find them I will go take some tomorrow. It is a unique building. Most people I mention it to think its too creepy. It doesn't bother me though.
    The picture of that abattoir is amazing. Mine, not so much lol. It is very plain. And small.
    I think it will make a good hobby along with the garden and orchard.
    thanks y'all
    kim

• rockybird
    9 years ago

It sounds like an interesting project and could be really neat when finished, from the sounds of it. I think I would get an architect involved before I moved forward with it. It would be great to see pics.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Fix it up as an apartment, sign a lease with a vegan, only tell them what it originally was much later; Hilarity ensues!
    Casey

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My son suggested that my daughter paint cattle on the walls and have cow themed kitchen items, LOL
    This picture is the back of the building the south side. The tin area on the right is one of the walk-ins.

This post was edited by luvncannin on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 17:04

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the west side. the back door is just off the picture to the right. The multipaned window on the top back and the one on the front were perfect until someone went in and scared the owl. She broke out many of the panes, but thankfully did not hurt herself.
    The wind was so bad today I couldn't stay out there too long

This post was edited by luvncannin on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 17:05

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok front view. Not the best picture with the sun where it was but...I told you it is a fixer upper.
    the cattle chutes of course will be cut loose and it is a nice big concrete slab there. The front door would be the one to the right. I think there are exterior 3 doors.
    I will take some pictures of the inside when it warms up a little. Thanks for looking.
    Oh and the 2 story area is one giant empty room.

This post was edited by luvncannin on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 17:06

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anyone ?

• worthy
    9 years ago

Big difference between suitable for storage and human habitation. Decide which you want. Sketch out what you want to do. Then, as mentioned above, invest in a structural engineer's inspection of the building and your plans for it.

Now that I've seen it, I would think it would make more financial sense to knock it down, bury the clean fill on site if you can and start over. You want a striking space and energy efficient industrial design, it's easier and cheaper to begin with a clean slate.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

Much smaller than I expected given the description. THe tower is what, 8'x8' square? Which means that by the time you fir it out on the inside to get it insulated, it will be smaller still. I think I'm with Worthy on this one. Might make a pool house with a loft as an addition to a real house built on the site, but I don't think that making that into a residence for more than 1 person will work terribly well.

Is there a septic? A well? Any piping? What about the electrical service?

At a minimum, I'd address the roof issues so that it didn't deteriorate, and pay some experts to get in there to see what they thought of it.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Hmmm. It's slightly different from the one Worthy posted. I can't get a handle on the dimensions--can you fit a cow in there? :P

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are 12 concrete blocks wide and 12 deep, that is the 2 story area. The additional area is hard to figure because of the walkin coolers. I may just clean it up and make a storage out of it. I will see once I get it cleaned up good and get an engineer to look and make sure it is sound.
    Worthy I agree it is cheaper to build sometimes than remodel. If I don't use it I will just leave it and build a little further north of it. It would be just for me.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

Resale should also be considered. A lot of people won't want to live in a slaughter house. Especially if it isn't anything that is architecturally interesting. That's just a concrete box.
    It's throwing money away, if you ask me.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

It would make a cute kids clubhouse. It's not big enough for a house.

• worthy
    9 years ago

slightly different from the one Worthy posted

The one I posted just closed this fall after a hundred years of animal executions, as the animal rights people would say. Interestingly, the four towers that gave it a grand presence were removed years ago. Whether it is to be repurposed or demolished hasn't been determined. However, many historic buildings in the area have been given new life. Take, for instance, a former massive casket-making plant revivified as the Coffin Factory.

• dahoov2
    9 years ago

Personally, that would freak me out. I'm an animal lover (though not a vegan or insane about it). I'd not do it. But if it doesn't bother you, you have the funds, it's legal and checked out for any problems and ok, then I say go for it because it's gotta be pretty solid. Might make a nice start for a bomb shelter or storm shelter at least!

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maybe storm shelter/storage and if I can get the walkins going a good place to store produce.
    I do not consider resale since I paid less than 4000. for it. Its not really a small place. The 2 story area is about 20x20 the 1 story are over 40' x 25' plus the walkins. I am a single older person and no one will be living with me, so I don't need a huge place.
    All great things to think about, thanks y'all

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You took the pics away!

This post was edited by GreenDesigns on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 17:11

• luvncannin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry yes I did. The roof is definitely first on the list after relocating my owl family. I am going to talk to the state park ranger about that. And getting the roof done is not something I am willing to tackle at all. I can do a lot of remodeling but climbing that high is something I am willing to pay for.
    kim

• Fori
    9 years ago

Aww a shame about those towers, Worthy. It's nice when cool stuff can be repurposed. When I was a kid in a suburb of LA, we weren't interested in the Hollywood sign--when we went into LA we wanted to know if we were going by the abandoned Assyrian palace. Eventually that old tire factory became an outlet store but it still has Assyrian sphinxes rolling tires around.

Not that owls aren't also cool! it looks like this place might be best as an accessory building with an interesting past. It would be neat if you can keep it in decent shape without too much expense...except on Halloween of course!

• worthy
    9 years ago

Neat!

Opened as a tire plant in 1930, closed in 1978, renewed life as an outlet centre in 1990.

Assyrian Palace

{{gwi:2137031}}

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I would totally go for it.

But I would also get a professional or three in there first to see how feasible and costly it would be to remodel the place. I mean, no matter what you want to do, if the structure itself is solid, a remodel can be done- just depends on how much money and effort you want to put into it.
    I also wouldn't worry a lot about resale, depending on how the remodel went. How are folks going to know it was originally a slaughthouse if it's reworked into a lovely other building?

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

can't say as there are no pictures.
    why did you remove them?

• msjay2u
    9 years ago

I heard of strange remodels before but none like the one I have sent a link to. Check it out. If this can be remodeled then surely yours would be a piece of cake

Here is a link that might be useful: strange remodel