Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning, Warning, Danger-danger Will Robinson!

Posted by blondeauto (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 14, 09 at 5:21

Hope this grabs at least one person's attention & saves the headache & expense that we have gone thru. DO NOT buy Mastercraft Exterior Doors! Just purchased 5 FIVE Mastercrap french doors for new construction...every single one of them leaked so horribly, ran down into drywall/foundation. (Pics to prove) Took 3-4 wks for rep to fly in from WI. Blamed install (had 3 different licensed contractors working to stop leaks). Rep confirmed plumb, caulked...water-tested with hose. Deemed "fixed". Next rain= LEAKS!!! The seals broke in the interior portion of the door and leaked from the inside! HOW does that happen? B/c they're junk & slip-shod quality control. Menards passes the buck to Mastercraft/Midwest Manufacturing. We have over $7K invested in 5 doors. ripped out and replaced with Pella sliders (excellent choice). Please learn from our mistake...buyer beware!!! Was NOT improper install...more like masterCRAP from masterSHAFT.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning, Warning, Danger-danger Will Robinson!

Are you sure the doors were installed correctly? The major cause of leaks with windows and doors is installers who do not flash properly. There are many ways to flash that look like they would work, but don't.

o

If you google MasterCraft doors you will find that they are well known for their lack of quality.

If you want to use a less established brand you need to do the necessary due diligence.

I don't have a high opinion of Pella products but they are a big step up so I hope they work out for you.

o

Yea, the quality of those doors has gone down from what it use to be. Over the years I think I've bought about 10 exterior Mastercraft doors, and after the last few I won't buy them again.

Menards use to be known for selling nothing but junk, and then they went through a period of years where quality really improved, but now it seems to be going back the other way. I still shop there, but you really have to look over what you are getting. I still spend a lot of money at Menards each year, have been for a long time LOL!! It is rare that a week goes by that I'm not there at least once picking something up.

I thought Menards owned Mastercraft/MM manufacturing. Use to drive by the big plant on my way to the Eau Claire store when we lived in WI.

Cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here