Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
windows in bathroom

Posted by bloved (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 13, 09 at 4:23

hi everyone,
hope someone has experience or wisdom in this.... our master bathroom window is right above the bathtub (big square window). for reason i dont remember, dh didnt order it to be frosted so it's quite clear facing our neighbors window. i think he originally thought he could "spray" it with this white kind of spray that people use on windows during christmas for the "snow effect" (which i think personally may make the window look cheap) or he might put a film over it (he doesnt exactly know how this would work). since we obviously cant reorder another window, anyone have any suggestions of what we could do to the window to give us more privacy while we use the bathroom?
btw, we have the milgard vinyl windows w/sculptured grids.
thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: windows in bathroom

Static cling vinyl film is the easiest option.

Here is a link that might be useful: static cling vinyl film

o

If you are looking for a simple solution, I would go with the static cling window film. I have seen some nice designs at Lowe's and Home Depot.

If you are looking for something more permanent, there is the possibility of having someone professional come in and put a special acid on your windows to make the window opaque. I have seen this done. My uncle worked for a window company for years. It is more expensive than buying the stuff from an arts and crafts store, but the results are worth it.

In the meantime. CURTAINS! LOL.

o

For sidelites, I've had patterned glass (from stained glass window makers) cut to size. Then I held it in place by trim carefully nailed into the window frame with brads using a carpet tackhammer. I have to say the window film looks easier to do!

o

I had the same problem and the simplest and cheapest solution is "privacy" film from Gila. It's under $20 and widely available at home centers.

If you want something fancier, Google "window film".

o

We had the same issue in our downstairs bathroom and used the adhesive plastic film. It adhered perfectly and never looked like there was a film on the window. I wouldn't rule it out. Also, you could have a glass company replace the glass without changing out the window. Probably not that expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bye Bye Tiny Sad Kitchen

o

For privacy you'll need some blinds or drapes. Film is fine if you just want a translucent window but remember that at night your neighbors are going to see your silhouette while you're in the BR and as you enter/leave the tub.

While you decide what to do, I'd buy & install the inexpensive, cut-to-size Redi-Shades they sell at HD.

Here is a link that might be useful: shades

o

I considered installing a big picture window just above my soaking tub when I remodeled the master bath. I eventually did something different but I planned to put in a short privacy wall about 6ft out from my window and create a bath-theamed garden outside between the brick wall and the window. I was going to put a toilet and maybe an old tub out there and grow ivy in them and maybe a bird feeder. So, maybe you can leave your window clear but block the view with some creative landscaping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here