Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cand1781_gw

Window seat : Opinions wanted.

cand1781
9 years ago

My husband and I have decided to install a window seat in my daughter's room. We will stick to the easy DIY plan of using kitchen cabinets. However, since the carpet is original (15 yrs old and beat), do we

a.) install directly over current carpet and have new carpet installed against seat

b.) rip up the rug underneath since it will be covered by cabinets anyway
or

c.) build over newly installed carpet?

I struggle because I feel we should have carpet underneath for insulation, especially since garage is under her room, but at the same time, it seems wasteful to install new carpet that will be covered up forever. BUT, the carpet there now is so nasty, who knows what kind of dust and dander is in/under the carpet.

Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

rip up the carpet and put a new tack strip right at the edge of where you'll build your window seat... (at least, that is what I'd do).

I'd not want a "spongy" base to my window seat, if I were permanently afixing it to the wall.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Cut and remove the portion under the seat and as said, install a tack strip to secure the loose edge.
    Construct the seat, clean the removed carpet, cut to fit and place it loosely within the seat, just as you'd do with new carpet.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Pull the carpet back, install the window seat, and have the carpet re-stretched into place.

• cand1781
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. i think that seems most logical. should be tackling this weekend! :)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Home desperado will rent you a "knee-kicker" so you can stretch it yourself.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

How old is your daughter? Remember a window seat can be a fall hazard when it is on the second floor of a building. Kids can get forgetful or boisterous and fall right through a window.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The insulation value of the carpet is far less than that of the cabinets so there is no reason to leave it in place. If the room gets cold the best solution is to foam the bottom of the floor.

If you are concerned about falling out of the window install a limit mechanism so the window can only open a few inches.

I would be cautious about using factory finished cabinets on the floor. They are not designed to take much wear and tear and might delaminate or chip prematurely. Field painted cabinets would give you the ability to repair and repaint them later and be able to change the color of the room trim.

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Interesting thought Renovator8. So would you recommend making plywood boxes for the window seat and then painting the window seat to match the wall colour?

We too, thought to order cabinets for our window seat, but have recently considered building/painting our own. Christopher Lowell's books talk about making your own built-ins rather than ordering factory finished cabinets. If the room is small, I wondered if having the window seat in the same colour would make the room seem a bit larger vs having the window seat in an off white to match trim.

Can you please give us some more thoughts on building window seats Renovator8?

Carol