Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windsorbecks

Installing Laminate and can't Move Fridge

windsorbecks
16 years ago

Hi, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help with a strange problem... Xposted in flooring...

We want to have floating laminate installed in our kitchen. The problem is that we can not easily move our fridge out of the 100 sq/ft kitchen (it took 4 men lifting it over a counter-top to get it in there in the first place!!) Poorly designed kitchen....

Anyway, can we start the laminate install under where the fridge is, then move it back into place in order to finish the install on the other side of the kitchen? Since there is no glue, there isn't any wait time, but I don't know if the weight will mess up the spacing.

Any thoughts??

Comments (5)

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

You could rent an air lifter. It's simply a reverse vaccum that fills a pad placed under the fridge. Once filled, it allows very easy movement and more important in your case, gently lowers it back down to the floor once in place.Check rental yards in your area as well as flooring companies who might rent you a unit. They are used by installers all the time for heavy,akward appliances, furnitures, etc.

• beacher003
    16 years ago

I have a large kitchen and when I put down floating engineered floor I did just what you're asking. It's really not an issue as long as starting in that area dosn't conflict with the rest of the layout.
    Generally you'll need spacers along the wall so once you install that section of floor leave the spacers in place, reinstall the fridge, finish the rest of the floor then pull out the fridge to remove the spacers.

• windsorbecks
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks... I'm glad to know that someone has done this before. I guess if it affects the layout, we could start in the other area first. Thanks again for the tip.

• kermieb
    16 years ago

Rolling the fridge out, installing the flooring and immediately pushing the fridge back will work just fine. But, beware using cheap flooring. Also, in a wet area like a kitchen or bath be sure to seal the pieces together.

Elmer's glue works just fine. Run a very small bead of glue on the flange of the piece of flooring that is down, and install the next piece. You'll see the glue squeeze out, so just wipe it with a wet cloth. Pronto, your new floor is waterproof from spills and everyday usage.

Let me again suggest to you to bite the bullet and buy GOOD FLOORING. I will usually only install Pergo, and I always buy the pre-padded type. In my area it runs about $3.30 sq ft, but the time and trouble avoided by not having to lay down the padding is worth it. On the home improvement shows, I've seen installers using Painter's tape to hold the pieces toghether. If you have to use tape, you've really bought some junk flooring. Good luck.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Also be sure to run a bead of silicone in the gap between the wall and flooring before installing baseboard/shoe moulding. This is a good idea to do in kitchens and baths when using laminate. The silicone still allows the florring to expand/contract.