Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmolly

What kind of awning can I add with this roof line?

tmolly
9 years ago

Hi All,

We want to add an awning outside of our front door, but I'm not sure what would work with our existing roof line. Are there any awning styles out there that will go with our 1950's house? Preferably not aluminum?

Thank you for any advice/photos!

Comments (6)

• tmolly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PART 2 OF POST:
    I just realized I'm probably using the wrong word by saying "awning." We want a more permanent looking structure like a portico. I'm attaching a photo of a suggestion from a handyman we asked. I'm just not sure how this would look, centered over our door, with our roof line. We intend to redo our crumbling stairs and railings (within the same footprint) along with the awning/portico addition. Hope this clarifies things!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I always advise my customers to think comprehensively when remodeling. Play like you have unlimited funds and think about what you'd do. Sometimes you get the best ideas this way.

tmolly thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    PYC Awnings
    9 years ago

Hi,

Keeping in style with your house, I would install a traditional awning. Here is a photo showing how they would look on your home.

tmolly thanked PYC Awnings
  • PRO
    Precision Carpentry
    9 years ago

Any kind of structure like in the picture is going to be a mess with your roof line.You did not state your location but if you have snow and ice,even rain,where is going to go from the roof above the garage?Right on top of the roof to the portico.The existing valley will also drain on top of it.You don't want to create another lower valley between a new structure and the existing brick wall beside the garage.

• User
    9 years ago

To get anything close to what you want will require major work to the roof.