Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace Surround

Posted by cfrizzle (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 22:23

The fireplace in our 1917 Foursquare is surrounded by beautiful original woodwork and built ins. The brass cover & white brick need to go, though. I'm having trouble envisioning what they could be and would love some ideas from you all. I kind of think some type of custom mosaic would be nice, but not sure exactly how it would work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace Surround

Unless you want to add some (darn expensive) authentic A&C detail to the surround, a modern mosaic would be a travesty to all of that original detail.

Leave the brick alone. It's suitable to the home's style. Too bad it's already painted. Brass is also back stylewise. And it never left for some traditional style homes. Like yours.

o

Your fireplace and mantel are beautiful. I'm with the wise LWO -- you should leave the brick or strip it. Your next best option would be period-appropriate tile. There are some lovely patterned A&C examples, or a solid color in an handcrafted finish would be best

If you go with tile, here is an example:

And another

This post was edited by gooster on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 12:58

o

I'd definitely see about stripping the paint and leaving it as is.

o

Paint it black or brick red with low sheen. Or strip it back to the original clay brick.

There are too many surface details to tile over the brickwork. What would the plan be for the raised areas? Cut tiles for each little detail like the stepped corbels and the thickened lintel section? That would be so much labor, and is going to look terrible.

o

This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here