Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelrobin_gw

Showing the 20 year old kitchen that needs wall oven now!

kelrobin
10 years ago

Now that I have found this very fun forum, I think I may have to go ahead and start planning my redo for next year, but my dilemma now is what to buy to replace the dead GE wall oven until I can get through to next year. Love our drop down door Sharp MW and Thermador WD and cooktop with pop-up downdraft. They have all been workhorses!! Had to go ahead and get a frig a number of years ago, and just went with a French door Samsung and crammed it into existing space. Any suggestions appreciated on an oven that will work with the existing MW until it dies or both new that will look good together (but separate units). I hate to buy white again since I am transitioning to stainless. Have looked at new Therm Pro, KA, Bosch, and Jenn-Air. Not a huge baker, but have not had an oven since last Feb. (shhhhh!!) Thanks for help!!

Comments (8)

• kelrobin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Other side of kitchen . . .

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

If that is a 27" oven you may have to look for older stock, sears outlet, or craigslist to get something that is not too expensive and will fit. Most ovens are 30" now. I think it is ok to have a stainless oven since your WD has stainless trim right beside it.
    Sears outlet or other retail is nice since you can purchase the installation also, those ovens are often hardwired into the 220V supply. If you buy an older oven off craigslist you may be able to sell it for almost the same price next year. White appliances sell very cheaply now.

I don't see much room for a countertop temporary convection oven which I might be tempted to use, rather than replacing the oven, if I was planning a definite remodel in a year.

• kelrobin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Scrappy25, actually it is a 30" so I can get a new one, but I have thought the same thing about doing a countertop where the toaster is. Just know how disruptive redo's are and might want to go ahead and get something that can be moved so I can do a turkey!

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I would go ahead and get the oven you want, then add the MW when you remodel or the MW dies.
    Only input I can give you on brands is DS owed a KA oven/MW unit and the MW door had to be repair twice, plus it had another problem I can't remember. Also, both units were not user friendly when it came to programing. I do know that after using (or trying to use) the MW, and attempting to set the timer on the oven, that I never wanted to own one!
    My Dacor wall oven is 11 years old and I can't say enough good things about it!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

What is the point of a wall oven if it is almost as low as an oven in a range?

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

I feel your pain. :) I have not used my oven in years. It is a huge old GE gas oven and it heats my house so badly in the summer that the old air conditioning cannot keep up. And I swear I can smell gas fumes. I have a detector, and have had it checked out and apparently it is fine but I'm still leery of it so I just don't use it. Instead I have a Breville countertop smart oven, which I love and since I only cook for two it is adequate. I will eventually remodel and get a new oven but until I do the smart oven allows me to bake, broil, and toast (got rid of the toaster due to lack of space).

• bpath
    10 years ago

First, if you haven't used it since February you might survive, get a Breville till then and use the oven for storage :) Buy a cooked turkey (I'm getting mine from a local restaurant since we are eating early!).

However, if you are set on an oven: Is it gas? If so, stop reading now. If not, here's our story: a new oven needed a new 40-amp line, and our old one had no electronics so it didn't have the cooling fan. Do a search on the appliance forum for "quiet oven" or "noisy oven"; the cooling fans can be seriously loud.

• PugetSoundjj
    10 years ago

Renovator 8, we are finishing a kitchen remodel and I have placed my wall oven at the same height as Kelrobin's. We don't use our oven very often any more because we are empty nesters. We have installed a speedcook oven just above it that we plan on using several times a day. Because I am so short, we needed to put it at a height that I could easily get in and out of since it has a drop down door and not a side opening door. That means the oven that I get into only a couple of times a month, if that, has to be low. So sometimes there are very valid reasons for such choices.

Kelrobin, I think you should just get the oven that you want. Consumer reports rates Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, and Bosch all very highly. We just
    went with the white glass front JennAir that looks similar to yours. I am wondering why you are switching to stainless when stainless seems so much harder to keep clean?