Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patioplants

Don't judge me but.. faux garage door?

patioplants
10 years ago

So I bought my first house a few months ago for a great price, due to the shambles the poor house was in. I have been slowly working through the deconstruction phase.

The single car garage/laundry area was converted into a utility room at the back of the old garage and an open room next to the living room near the front of the house. The existing (30+ year old) wood garage door was basically just caulked into place and a wall build behind it. The floor was raised to the house level with a wood frame and plywood on the slab. The floor was removed this last weekend (horrific, moldy, disgusting mess, complete with those lovely southern roaches and a FROG living under there in the moistness that has yet to evaporate out of the concrete with my dehumidifier running), so the step down into the garage is back. I want to rebuild the wall between the garage and the living room.

With all of that said: I don't mind not having a garage because there is a shed in the back yard, and enough parking for my and my fiance's cars. We are thinking of building a fake garage door (carriage door style) and rebuilding the wall behind it. We looked at other houses that had the converted garage, and I think that a garage ALWAYS looks like it is a garage. I do not like the door/window and siding as a replacement for it. Getting a brick mason to come in and do the job is a possibility, but I would like to be able to sell the house with the option to convert it back to a garage. We would add the concrete "lip" to the bottom of the door and then seal up the door/insulate all the outer walls. I was concerned about the moisture in the concrete coming from the door, but it has rained here the last few days and I am pretty confident that the moisture had leaked from the utility room out the door (I experienced this when I had the water turned on and all of the appliances were disconnected... not pretty). Of course, I am not ready to go out and do this now so I will be monitoring this moisture situation. We are probably just going to stain or paint the concrete floor in the room, too.

Has anyone done anything like this? Thoughts? Issues? Honestly, if the garage was still in tact, I wouldn't be thinking about this, but since it was already converted we are seeing what the options are. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

"The floor was raised to the house level with a wood frame and plywood on the slab. The floor was removed this last weekend (horrific, moldy, disgusting mess, "

before you move forward you need to understand the
    reason this happened.

when you build a house on a slab, plastic vapor
    barrier is installed on ground, then the concrete is
    poured. without this vapor barrier, moisture migrates
    from the ground into the slab. concrete absorbs
    moisture.
    for garages porches & patios this extra step
    of adding a vapor barrier to the ground just isn't done.

your problem isn't uncommon for garages, patios
    porches turned into living space. unless contractor
    has put vapor barrier under these non living spaces..
    they will absorb moisture. not a problem if you aren't
    turning the space into an enclosed living space.

so what to do?
    vapor barrier on slab (felt would also work) sleepers
    then sub flooring. otherwise the flooring will rot again.

what is your location?

best of luck.

• patioplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info! I am in SE Louisiana so water is a huge issue.

Would it be acceptable to just use a masonry waterproofing like drylock (or any others??) on the floor? I really don't want to put a floor over the slab, I was just hoping to stain/paint the concrete.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

use only water based products.
    this will allow moisture diffusion into the
    garage area, if you use products that
    don't allow this diffussion then the products
    will fail as moisture from the slab/ground
    is trapped.

I'm sure you've seen signs of trapped
    moisture behind paints, the moisture collects
    and the paint bubbles.

you mention a dehumidifier, once the
    floor is stained/painted the dehumidifier
    would stay in this room to remove moisture.
    as you do the renovations see if you can
    locate the dehumidifier where it can be
    plumbed in to drain. maybe through wall
    to outside.

is this area insulated in walls & ceilings?
    if not it will be difficult to heat & cool.
    any pics to share?

best of luck

• worthy
    10 years ago

Poly on top of the concrete floor will trap moisture between the floor and the plastic, feeding mould growth. It just won't be as severe as with all that wood food. Instead, treat the garage floor as if it were a basement floor, allowing the moisture to move into the living space where it will be dissipated. XPS and plywood or Delta FM or equivalent will work well.

Maintaining the garage door(s) while finishing off the space is a ruse I've seen used to meet zoning rules requiring a garage. The first time I came across this reuse, the only entry from the main house was from the finished basement. I wasn't told about it and when I walked up into the former double garage converted to a family room with a wall of glass to the back garden I was completely disoriented, as if I had come upon a hidden world.

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Nov 29, 13 at 18:54

• patioplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for the information - It is extremely helpful!

I am not sure if the outer wall is insulated. I would guess no, but we have not looked yet. Behind the wood paneling there is sheetrock. The outside of the house is brick.

The ceiling is somewhat insulated; we will be adding some insulation to the attic soon, though.

I am more concerned with cooling the room in the summer as opposed to heating it in the winter (we are from the North East - we can handle a little cold!! :-D). Moving a portable heater won't be an issue; just getting the cold air in will be. We were looking into adding some duct work for that area. The A/C unit should be able to handle it - the house is open to it now anyway, we don't run the A/C too hard, and when we came to look at the house several times over the summer, it was always about 60 degF inside! We keep it about 78-80 degF.

Worthy - I think this was probably a permitting and/or laziness issue as opposed to zoning! I have seen several other converted garages in the neighborhood. Since the door is in the front of the house, I don't want to put windows or a door in (looks silly to me), and like I said, I'd like to be able to eventually sell it with the option of turning it back into a functional garage :-). I would love to have the wall of glass though!

In this picture, you can still see that there is a little moist concrete spot - that used to be literally half the floor about a week ago.

• patioplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the inside of the door - there is some insulation between the soundboard and the door. This is right inside the front door, off the living room. The floor the previous owners had installed was level with the slab for the living space. In the whole house, there is/was linoleum glued directly to the slab - we have been working to pull all of that up and will eventually install a (probably floating) wood or bamboo floor.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

knowing sq ft of house (including garage as you
    plan to condition it) and size of hvac system
    will give us a rough idea of the existing
    system being able to handle added garage/living
    space.

type of ducts & pic of plenum also helps.
    is all of house including garage under
    the same roof? or is garage under lower
    roof?
    you'll have to have access from one
    attic to another to add ducts.
    and depending on where the supply
    plenum is & distance to garage you'll
    probably have to upsize the duct to
    move the air a long distance.

ok...the garage pics...
    the paneling wall...is there a gap between
    the bottom of the paneling & the slab?
    moldings at wall @ ceiling?
    that there is sheetrock behind it is
    a good thing.

in second picture to the right
    is that the inside of the garage door?

the key to cooling is to make the space
    to be cooled air tight. you won't make it
    100%, don't worry. but stopping summer
    heat gain & air infiltration will go a long
    way to reducing the amount of a/c
    the space will require.

are you diy-ers?

and totally off topic but how did you
    get from north to La.? oilfield?
    where (generally) in se La are you?

as always I have more questions, but need
    to get back in the yard to haul the stuff I've
    cut down to the burn pile.
    the few nights of frost have provided fuel
    for the bonfire I've planned tomorrow night.
    just need to get it from here to there!

• patioplants
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We moved here for my job - chemicals :-). We're just west of New Orleans and the "suburban" towns. I love it, it's very quiet and small-townie, somewhere between suburban and rural. We're close to the river, within walking distance to the levees. It's wonderful!

The whole house is under one roof. I will have to get some information on the A/C and the attic - until recently it has been wayyy too hot to do much up there! Our winter project is to go up there and remove whatever the previous homeowners have left behind (of course!!!).

The sq. ft. of the house is just under 1700 including the garage. There is a small gap between the sheetrock/paneling and the slab - that is throughout the house under the baseboards so I assume that has to do with needing space between the wall and the concrete for moisture? The second picture is the inside of the garage door.

As far as DIY, I'd say that we can do the basic to intermediate (with some practice) projects. When I was younger, my dad was really big into DIY and remodeling houses, so I have done a lot of work on water pipes, electric, flooring, etc. I have enough knowledge to know what I am comfortable doing and what I will need help with from someone more experienced. There are a lot of people I know around here willing to help out with the more "advanced" projects. That's what friends are for, right?

Thank you for all your help so far! The bonfire sounds wonderful! Would've been nice the last few nights around here - finally starting to feel like Autumn!!!