Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scatchandmax

What to do with existing built-ins - ideas/help please!

scatchandmax
9 years ago

Hello! First time poster :)
After gutting our house to the studs in 3/4 of the rooms, and getting many nasty expensive surprises in the process, I'm looking to do something relatively simple with the built-ins in the office/guest room. It took me seemingly forever to strip the paint, repaint, replace hardware, and re-fit the doors and drawers in our hallway built-ins, so I've been dragging my feet with this room. Since this is an office primarily, I was first considering taking the doors off and adding shelves to have open book shelving, but the problem is the shelves would be very deep, about twice as deep as a normal bookshelf. As you can see, we're using the bottom space to keep the litter box, and we'll probably need to continue doing this because it's really the only spot in the house at the moment, but I'm trying to think of a way to possibly conceal the litter box. Another possibility is to rip the whole thing out, but I'm very hesitant to do any more demo in this house after a very stressful and expensive renovation this summer! Any ideas would be much appreciated! There's so much online about adding built-ins, but not much about altering existing ones!

Comments (7)