Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Anyone have ideas/pics to help with Fireplace/Bookshelf wall?

raehelen
16 years ago

Okay- this is my first post on this forum- have migrated from Kitchens, as I should be wrapping that one up soon (one can always hope...:>)

We have demoed our old Brick Fireplace, have hauled the wood stove out, removed the raised hearth, and plan to add a gas fireplace insert. We are waiting for a salesperson to come this week- so we haven't picked a model/brand yet (open to any and all suggestions, BTW)There used to be wood paneling, which I had faux painted, and DH could hardly wait to get rid of- so we are starting with a blank slate. We just put in a new central vac outlet (old one was in floor)and do plan to add track lighting (no lights in LR at all)pointing to this wall.

Anyhow, it was our Window person who suggested we take out the brick (she is an interior designer too- so I picked her brain one day she was here). Just couldn't figure out what to do with that wall. So, we are thinking we will build in bookshelves on both sides of the fireplace. I would like to position a stereo (haven't bought that yet either- thinking that and wall and fireplace will be our Christmas present to ourselves) on the left side. Right side for the 45" Plasma TV? Unless we could place it over the fireplace? Does anyone know? The Gas Fireplace stores that we have gone to so far have been useless- hoping the guy who comes this week will be more helpful.

So, I would love some help with designing this wall/fireplace. It is 18'2" long, basically divided into three equal sections, fireplace hearth is 6 feet, and walls are 6'1" on either side. The fireplace is off centre- with 26" on the left side of the 31" opening and 16" on the right side. (OK- I know this doesn't add up- but I've rechecked it several times, somehow the hearth is only 6', but those are the measurements- oh well, you get the idea!)

We both want a fairly substantial/deep mantel.

If you've got pics or have the time to draw up a layout- I would SO appreciate any help.

TIA, Rae

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• tudor_guy
    16 years ago

One question begs to be asked...

What is the style of your house? Modern? Revival of some sort? Any design should match the house style.

I would personally avoid putting the TV over the fireplace. My wife and I went on a house tour (to get ideas for our own remodel) and disliked having to crane your neck up to watch the TV.

Is there a reason for the large bricked area to the left of the fireplace opening? Any chance you could put in a wood storage box in that spot?

I have seen a number of houses with bookshelves to the sides of a fireplace... But the were all built-ins. I would be concerned that by building out from the wall you would end up with you fireplace in a "hole". Is this an exterior wall? Or can you do built-in bookcases?

Derek

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Derek,

Of course you are right- can you tell it's my first post!?! What style do I have? Is it not obvious from the pic? :>)

That's probably one of my stumbling blocks- in that I don't have a definite style- but we are basically gutting the house and starting from scratch- so I am inventing as I go.

We have nearly done the kitchen I will show a couple of pics as that is basically the starting point. We have a few antiques, mahogany buffet (which is normally in LR, but I may not keep?)dark oak hall tree which is in hallway open to LR, medium oak DR table open to LR (but again, I MAY replace that with a round? table), reproduction corner cabinet visible in DR from LR.

LR furniture is two fairly new dark blue leather couches, 2 chairs (that DH has never liked, so are expendable), plasma TV and mahagony type cabinet that it is on now- that was bought less than a year ago before we started the renos- hate to lose it, but if it doesn't fit into new scheme, could put it into basement FR (I guess :>( )

{{!gwi}}

Layout is of LR- it is open to landing from front stairs/entry there is a 41" high pony wall for 10 feet that will be capped with granite. Tigerwood flooring will be throughout upper floor- you can see bits of it and cardboard in kitchen. Buffet is sitting in kit now through the demos- will not be staying there.

Here is a pic of my chandelier that is to go over table in DR- wish I had it up to show you- it exemplifies my style if anything does- it is oil rubbed bronze- as are many of my accessory pieces/shelving units in my LR now. Sort of traditional with a modern spin/edge?

{{!gwi}}

• stacylu
    16 years ago

We have the same kitchen cabinets :)

Here's a pic I have for inspiration for our fireplace...

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Stacylu,

That looks good! Reassurring that the fireplace doesn't look like it's in a hole- I did have that concern too.

Rae

• tudor_guy
    16 years ago

Rae,

Base on your pictures, I am guessing you are leaning toward a Craftsman or Mission style...

I have a couple of pictures I have taken in various Tudors (shock!), but have no idea how to upload them using the Message form. If you can tell me how to send the pictures I will upload them.

Derek

• raehelen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Derek,

The easiest way to directly imbed the pics into your message is to open up an account on one of the free photo-hosting sites. I resisted for quite awhile thinking it sounded too comlicated. But once it's done, it's fairly idiot-proof to get your photos uploaded from your personal files.

Then you click on which photo out of your 'album' that you want to upload into your message- underneath the photo will be three separate sets of code- put your cursor over the html one and it automatically gets copied. Then 'paste' that copy into your message and voila your pic is there. Use the preview message feature to make sure.

I have always considered my home to be a Craftsman style- I live in a historical village that is used as the setting for many movies and TV shows - in fact once we are done the remodeling I am going to put our house up on the list to be used for location shoots-(figure that'll help with our costs :>). But I really don't know what Craftsman means to be truthful-so I don't say that out loud to anyone (that I think our house is Craftsman)-so shhhh- that's just our little secret_OK?

ogoopogo (Thought that was just a BC (British Columbia) name)- LOVE that site- that's just what I am aspiring to- mid-range house in price/size built to high standards!

• socal_construction
    16 years ago

Tia Rae,
    just read your posting and thought I would throw out my two cents worth.
    you could just build a sophit around the fire place to make it look more centered this would also allow you to place your flat screen above the fire place. We just built one here in san diego, Ca where the client could not afford a T.V. anytime soon so she had us temporarily cover the whole for the T.V.

the only real precaution is heat proofing--to protect the wiring and your nice new flat screen (their known to be a little sensitive to such elements)

as for the mantle and hearth, we hand chiseled slate (matching her new kitchen floor and backsplash), giving the fire place a much more custom look.

hope this was helpful

I'm new to this whole forum thing but i'm gonna try to paste my website's url. So if you'd like to see the photo of the fire place I'm talking about, you can check out my companie's gallery and it is the first photo I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: SoCal Construction & Design.com