Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sliding patio door or double door?

Posted by cruzmisl (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 20:30

Hi All,
Looking to replace my rear patio door which is currently a double door. I was thinking about a sliding glass door to change things up a bit but I keep thinking they're cheap. This may be entirely unfounded since the door is well built and slides beautifully. Maybe my thoughts are stemming from the sliding glass door my parents had in the early 80's.

I'm curious what the general consensus is on sliding glass doors. Pro's and con's?
Thanks,
Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sliding patio door or double door?

They are generally used when there is no interior space available for in-swinging French doors.

o

The major drawbacks of sliders are misalignment and roller wear. The lower weight bearing rollers often wear out relatively fast---sometimes as soon as three or four years with more than average use---opening/closing 5+ times a day.

Adjustment is usually fairly simple, as long as the adjusting mechanism is not damaged/rusted/too dirty. And the adjusting mechanism and roller assembly is replaceable.

The other gotcha is the amount of light/heat/cold the large expanse of glass transfers. A curtain has to be wall mounted and is cumbersome to open/close to operate the door.

Double doors generally do not have any of those problems. The big gotcha with doubles are the room taken when open/operated.

o

For clarity both doors (slider/french) will have blinds mounted inside the glass. Also both style of doors will have low E glass. Currently with the double doors I have no issues with space. Right now my gut says to go with the double doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here