Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embeth_gw

Tiling mistake. All my fault?

embeth
11 years ago

We're currently in the process of remodeling our bathroom. We are hiring the plumbing and tile work (including some carpentry to accommodate a shower, and new wall and floor tile) but are coordinating ourselves.

I was at work today when the tile person put up the first wall of wall tile, and I came home to discover that he did not put it up in the pattern I intended. (It's subway tile, and I intended it to go up in a staggered pattern to give it a vintage feel in our older home. The tradesman put of the tile in a grid pattern.)

I didn't specify the pattern--it just hadn't occurred to me that the "standard" way to put up the tile wasn't in a staggered pattern--so I feel responsible for the mistake. I am surprised the tradesman didn't ask about this, though, as we have discussed many other details about the tile work (conversations started both by me and by the tradesman.)

Does the tradesman bear any responsibility in this situation? I'm not happy about the mistake and the potential extra cost; but I _am_ happy with the work that this person does in general and don't want to ruin the relationship over this issue.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz