Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding french doors to dining room

Posted by shane_c (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 20, 09 at 19:04

We are wanting to add french doors to our finished dining room. There are 2 entrances and both are already framed so we will not be adding pre-hung doors. They will be added to the existing frame.

1) first entrance is 36.5" wide. We were going to go with a 36" swing in door. Would the extra 0.5" be eaten up between the gap on the hinge side and the knob side?

2) the larger entrance is 49" wide and we were going to go with two 24" swing in doors. Same question. Do we need to worry about the extra 1" or will it be okay given gaps on the 2 hinge sides and the gap between the 2 doors? If not, how much should we build out the existing frame so that it fits properly?

Also, for the larger opening we can't decide if we should go with one turn style handle and one dummy, or two dummy handles and the door would be secured in place using one of those ball/recessed cup latches. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,
Shane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding french doors to dining room

No, this is not going to be taken care of by the normal gaps between parts. The hinge-side gap depends on the hinges used, assuming they're set flush into the door and jamb. In my house (1930s) there's hardly any gap at all at the hinge side. On the doorknob side, the gap is maybe 1/8". Get the actual doors and build to fit.

Personally, I'd tear out the existing frames and rebuild them. I also wouldn't use two 24" doors together unless you intend to leave them open most of the time, or not use the doorway often; 24" is an uncomfortably narrow opening to walk through, and opening both doors frequently is a pain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here