Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cement-based floor leveling compound via truck?

Posted by scoutnad (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 18:09

Greetings all,

I am looking at ways to level a floor that was once a patio. It's concrete and sloped about 3" over 12 feet. I'd like to use cement-based floor leveling compound, but at the volume needed it's too excessive (and expensive) to do by buying bags of leveling compound at the local home improvement store and doing the work. I'd like to have a cement truck come and pour it - it's going to be somewhere around a cubic yard (small volume for commercial work, I know). I don't know, however, if concrete suppliers offer this type of mix. Any cement experts out there that fill me in here?

I'm planning to make some phone calls tomorrow to see if I can find something, but figured I'd try to tap into the expertise on this board in the mean time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, including any alternative ideas to leveling the floor.

Joe in PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cement-based floor leveling compound via truck?

What is usually available by truck from a ready-mix plant is called "flowable fill" but I don't know how thin it can be used.

o

How are you using the space, and are the walls already in place?

Our 1930s era home had a screened porch with a concrete floor sloped as you describe. When we converted to a 4 season sunroom, we simply glued commercial grade low nap polypro carpet in place. It is technically supermarket entrance carpet. Looks just fine.

o

I asked a friend who has some contracting experience about this. He had a different approach altogether: scribe cut 2x4s and nail & glue (construction adhesive) them to the concrete floor, then install a typical plywood subfloor. this would raise the floor on the high side about an inch and a half, and on the low side about four and a half inches. It'll be a bit tedious fitting each 2x4, but I think it'll turn out to be the most cost effective solution. Of course, either way of raising the floor means the doors need to be raised up. Since it's getting to be wintertime here in PA I'm thinking this is a springtime project.

o

Another alternative from a truck is gypsum concrete.

If you want to use wood it is not necessary to scribe cut. Find some straight 2x4's, turn them flat and shim them up at reasonable intervals. You would end up shimming scribed 2x4's to get them level anyway.

o

"scribe cut 2x4s and nail & glue"

Using 5/4 pressure treated deck boards works very well, and only eats up one inch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here