Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

Pulling up old floor; how to deal with what lies beneath?

lethargo
14 years ago

My DH and I are pulling our all of our first floors up in order to save some money on the install of our new hardwood floors. Half of the floor is ceramic tile; the previous homeowner installed the floor, pulling carpet off half that previous area and on top of vinyl on the other half. We're trying to get an area cleared so that we can at least get a couple of new cabinets installed. So....we've pulled the ceramic tile, the backer board, and upon trying to pull up the vinyl we realized there was paneling underneath. Well, in our DIY frenzy, we started pulling the paneling up-how great! The vinyl is so easy to get off the floor! Weellll...here's the sticky point. Our existing cabinets are on top of the vinyl and panelling.

How do we NOT pull all of the cabinets and yet still pull the exposed vinyl and paneling? Is there some safe way to saw through the vinyl/panel (keeping in mind it's a tight space there in front of the toekick) without terribly damagaing the plywood underneath? Ack! What do we do?!

Does this make sense? I'm a little full of ceramic dust right now...running on E, too. Time for some chow! Check back later!! Thanks for reading!

Comments (6)