Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House I was looking to purchase

Posted by chrisk327 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 9, 09 at 17:25

Hey everyone, not so much a question as a standing in disbelief.

I was looking at a house that I was going to purchase to renovate and possibly subdivide the property to build an additonal house. House has been for sale for a while. I took my brother in law and my wife to look at it.

Went in the basement. The main beam had a 1 foot long section that was missing. On one side, a 5 inch hole for the waste line was cut through the quad 2x8s. One side was sitting on the foundation about 1/2 inch. The supports were in crumbling cement on the basement floor from water damage and stress.

I told the RE agent that I don't think the house is structurally sound. The real disbelief was that after speaking to the RE agent, she said a lot of contractors have been through this, and they not only said nothing of the sort, they were planning on building up.

I looked at it earlier and I did miss some of the issues origionally and went DOH when my brother in law pointed them out.... but either the contactors are slow, too polite to say anything, or don't think that replacing all the supports and the main beam of the house is a big deal....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House I was looking to purchase

Or the real estate agent is lying.
The house still for sale for reason.

o
RE: House I was looking to purchase

A real estate agent lie!!!! Surely you jest!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here