Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea12001

Help me pick the color for my kitchen walls

Andrea12001
12 years ago

I recently painted my cabinets Benjamin Moore White Dove, picked granite White Springs, and am getting shaw oak floor -- rifle oak. I will be getting backsplash in subway tiles rialto white by vallelunga. I can't decide on a color for the walls. Had thought of a light grey, but worry that will make everything fade.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Comments (6)

• CruzAngel64
    12 years ago

A color chart will help you... they are free at any store, home depot,etc... however, you can also buy small samples jar like paint and do a test by painting a small section on ur wall... that will be the best way before buying paint that you may regret later

• enduring
    12 years ago

Did you post on the kitchen forum? Lots of action over there. A picture could help.

• EATREALFOOD
    12 years ago

Benjamin Moore Aura paints are really nice and you can easily coordinate an accent wall with them. I used the color called Seedling(maple cabinets, multi-colored slate look porcelain tile and soon to come I hope, soapstone counter.

• benlinus
    10 years ago

I have a new idea. Linnet white lime green can be good, or maybe not, depending on if you want to tone ra contrast. I do not know why I suggest something that no one less than decisive for me. I was there until the end, but sometimes they have to repaint the walls.

• fynite
    10 years ago

When we picked out paint colors, we went through several phases:

We took pictures of the colors we had to the paint store and held up swatches to them to get a subset of colors we wanted. This got us to about 10 colors per room.

Then we went online to the paint's web site, where they had a room simulator that you could populate with colors. This got us down to about 3 colors per room.

We then bought sample jars of all our colors, and painted 3' x 4' sheets of posterboard (primed it first) and took turns proping them up on the wall (with 1" strips of trim color) so we could see what it looked like in the actual lighting at that location.

That got us down to the final colors, and we are very happy with the results. (Though there were some surprises. Remember that if you have lots of natural light, it is going to pick up the color of everything it hits, and reflect that color onto every other surface. When the sunset hits the floor to ceiling window of the light yellow 5' by 5' mud room, the entire room and the hall outside it is flooded with an intense yellow light. The result is a room that looks 5 shades deeper than the surrounding walls.)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I would never buy any paint that had black or gray mixed into it. Benjamin Moore Color Stories is the only line I would go with. That is pure color, and they do have light gray, but the entire color spectrum is mixed in there, and nothing is dead. It's living gray, and picks up all the colors in the room.

Google "full spectrum paint," and you will find vendors that will give you living color.
    Suzi