Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ugly House Curb Appeal Advice

Posted by mysty (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 16:41

Thinking of buying a house in neighborhood where all the houses have this ugly barn/hut look. Would anything make them look better? They have ocean views and the insides are nicely renovated, but the architechture (?) if any leaves something to be desired.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ugly House Curb Appeal Advice

It seems like it's screaming out for a dormer (or dormerS) of some kind, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put them in originally if only to give it more curb appeal and bring more light to the upstairs rooms (assuming there are upstairs rooms). Is there a building code of some kind that limits the glass surface, or puncturing the roof or something?

o

New garage doors and entrance doors help with curb appeal

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamic Door Services Phoenix

o

I think your house has a ton of potential! I would seriously consider changing the location of the front door to a position of prominence. See the sketch I tried to do - sorry I'm not an artist or an architect. What I tried to show is a front door with a triangle roof over it and transom sidelights. To the left I put back a window - two double hungs together. Personally, I like the traditional look of munton bars and added these to the new window and the window at the far right. A stone path would look nice leading from the driveway up the new stately front door. I would also take back some of the oversized driveway that is encroaching on the front lawn and return it to grass. If you can get rid of the wood that is encasing the grass - also good - just let it slope down naturally. And finally, add some bushes, flowers etc. to the front of the house - left and right of the new front door. Just some ideas...!

o

How can I get some advice on ideas to create curb appeal for this ugliest house in the neighborhood?

o

Hi DaveRehab -

You may want to post this as a new post, you'll get more responses that way. Is this house meant for you to live in? Or is it meant to be sold, or rented?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here