Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nysrq

Termites 3 years later

NYSRQ
10 years ago

We had our 8th floor condo remodeled 3 years ago. One of the things done was to put a wood panel on the inside of the metal door to the apartment.

About a month ago I found something that looked like sawdust or sand under the door. Didn't think much of it - figured it wa something that blew under the door from a neighbor who was having hardwood floors sanded.

BUT - yesterday, saw a cone of little pellets under the door (My dog started barking at the door when there was no ne there - I guess she sensed the termites knawing a hole to drop their feces). THe COntractor was here, and turned a little white-faced when he saw it, sure that it is termites. THe wood he used was Fir, and it was supposed to have been treated.

Now - 3 years later - am I responsible for getting the panel off (not an easy task) and getting it treated or replaced, or is the Contractor who was supposed to have used treated wood?

Comments (7)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

You are responsible. Interior wood like fir isn't "treated" for termites. Only exterior framing wood gets the copper treatment. Occasionally interior framing wood is treated with borates, but beauty wood isn't done that way or it alters what it looks like. The source of the issue wasn't the veneer. But, it will certainly act as their food, as will any wood.

You also need to have someone do some crawling around and find out their point of infiltration. They may be coming in from another unit. Probably the whole building will need to be inspected and treated.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

Pressure treated lumber is not suppossed to be used in living areas due to the chemicals in the wood.

The first thing is to have the infestation elimimated.

• worthy
    10 years ago

ACQ treated wood issafe for most uses inside a home.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

termites brought in to 8th floor apt ...by the wood
    installed on the door?

can't imagine that termites tunel up 8 floors...

my question would be to determine where they came from.
    any other termite signs in the apt or neighbors apts?
    damage only on door panel?

if so...split cost with contractor to remove & replace
    with termite free material.

best of luck.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Was the metal door installed as new 3 years ago? Some metal doors have a wood frame and I'm wondering if the termites are within the door, not under the panel.
    Consider bringing in someone to treat the door & panel vs starting over.

• worthy
    10 years ago

Termites in high-rises are nothing new. They can even be brought in by high winds. Hurricane Sandy anyone?

"Termites get carried to the roof tops of building on the winds. There they pair off and crawl under the roofing material. There is usually wood used to bolt roof-top equipment to and this provides the food. They can live here for several years before entering the penthouse units through openings in the roof." Termite Book

Here is a link that might be useful: The Termite Book

• NYSRQ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies.
    Thus far, all we've done is confirm that it is in fact drywood termites. Waiting to hear back from the Exterminator whether he can treat while the panel is still on the door, or whether it has to be removed, and then either tossed or have a new one put on. The door itself has been there over 30 years - just the panel is 3 years old.