Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Size of Transom Windows, need opinions on these pictures

Posted by elizawhyza (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 15:54

I'm feeling pretty upset about our window installation. The pictures below are our family room. Our contractor ordered 1' tall transoms, and as you can see in the picture, glass size is very small. We have just about enough space for the next size transoms, which are 1'7", but there would be very little space between the window and the transom. I think I would prefer that to the way the smaller transoms look, but I am interested in any and all feedback. We would also have to lower the windows by 2", but I think I can live with the tops of the windows being different from the french doors as long as the tops of the transoms are all the same.

Recognizing that it won't be cheap to change this, we are looking at the long term, so if we are going to change it, this is the time. I would really appreciate honest opinions.

Thanks very much in advance!
Back wall.06

Back wall 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Size of Transom Windows, need opinions on these pictures

I see what you're saying about wishing the transoms were taller ... but are you going to have crown molding in here? You want the trip to have room to breathe & not be squished against the ceiling or other windows.

Given the choice of bigger transoms with offset height between the window top & french door ... I would stay with what you have. I think having the window height mismatched from the door would be more visually distracting than you'd think. We have 1 closet in a bedroom where the frame for the closet doors is higher than the frame for the door in & out of the room ... and it bugs me every time I see it.

I think they are very attractive as they are, taller transoms would be beautiful but these are very appealing right now.

o

I think they are fine the way they are, as you have a lot of window here already. It looks nice. Is the additional work and expense worth it?

o

Thanks for the feedback. It really helps.

We might just move the transoms closer to the windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here