Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bubbled line of mesh drywall tape

Posted by amber_miller17 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 15:40

I am new to the remodel scene, and have been learning alot as I go. I had no problem taking off all the popcorn from the ceiling in my whole house. Then, I discovered that the joints of the ceiling in my basement had only a layer or two of joint compound on top of the tape before they applied the popcorn, thus when I removed the popcorn, many times it cut right down to the tape. That being the case, I had to retape many of the joints. Most of the joints were not a problem, but I have 2 joints that have just been nothing but problems. I went and bought the ultra thin mesh tape as I've heard that is the best to work with to prevent bubbles and such. I applied it. No problems. No bubbles. Applied another layer. No problems, no bubbles. Went for a whole 3 or 4 feathered layers (can't remember for sure) and there were no problems whatsoever. The whole ceiling was smooth. No lines or anything could be scene. All my other ceilings in the basement, I had been putting a final layer on of "topping compound" over the whole ceiling, to tame the roughed up fibers of the bare drywall, and such. So, I applied the thin layer of the topping compound to the ceiling in this room. Went in the next day, and what had happened? There was the long line of a bubble in the mesh!!! How am I suppose to avoid this? How am I suppose to fix this? Even if I rip it all out and start over again, how do I avoid it happening all over again since there was no problem until the last, 5th layer? What am I doing wrong? Any help, please?!?!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bubbled line of mesh drywall tape

the zoomed in version, so you can see the mesh.

Again, I want to be very clear that this area was completely flush and no bubble or anything whatsoever up until I applied the final, 5th, topping coat of compound!!!

o

What do you mean by "topping compound"? What products are you using?

When you get bubbles, usually there's still some moisture, such as when joint compound is not fully dry, and a coat of something water impermeable (eg. paint) is applied. Then you get bubbles.

Also, next time use paper tape. It makes for a stronger joint.

o

topping compound is just that, topping joint compound. I believe Sheetrock is the brand, if that's what you are looking for. And it's not that I'm getting bubbles. That's what I was trying to explain. There were no bubbles, until I applied the 5th layer of joint compound, which was the topping compound. When I applied that, the previous layer had been given at least a day, maybe even 2, to very thoroughly dry beforehand.

o

Ok, got it. I still think there's some moisture in that joint and the topping is making a barrier so the moisture can't get out. I read that it's vinyl-based so that would make sense.

Anyway, you can try to knock off the bubbles (or cut them open with a utility knife) and touch it up with easysand. If the fiberglass tape is also proud of the wall, you might have to pull off that portion and redo it.

During your sanding, it's helpful to hold a light on the side to reveal the defects, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here