Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyndyj_gw

Questions - House needs to withstand toddlers

cyndyj
12 years ago

Please help with the following questions:

A little about us:

- Hubby and I have a 4 year old and a 22 month old. The house is gonna get a beating.

- Remodel near San Francisco, California.

- We do not have a housekeeper nor could I afford one after this remodel.

- We are never going to move. They're going to have to wheel us out of this house.

Master Bathroom

We'd like to put a dark ebony color porcelain linen tile on the shower floor and bathroom floor. Should we avoid dark colors on the bathroom floor?

Kids Bathroom Vanity

Should we get those ceramic white vanities counter tops or quartz counter tops for all the bathrooms? Do those ceramic ones really crack?

White Subway Tiles

Porcelain or Ceramic? For kitchen and bathrooms walls.

Hardwood Floors

Which color and finish is easy to clean? Can you recommend two colors?

Mudroom

Best flooring? We live near San Francisco, CA.

Laundry Room

Best flooring? The room will have a sink.

Thanks for your help!

Cyndy

Comments (6)

• pam29011
    12 years ago

The only one I can help with is the hardwood flooring color. Super dark hardwoods are popular right now but every piece of dust & hair shows up like a spotlight is on it. I wouldn't want to try and keep a floor dust-free.

In your shoes I'd go with a hardwood that is finished in place (not pre-finished) and expect to have it refinished in the future. Go for a mid-tone, not as light as clear maple and not as dark as ebony. Something in the color range of oak, cherry (but not actual American cherry, it's too soft), or cypress. Maybe something about the color of gingersnaps, as opposed to Oreos or oatmeal :)

As for subway tiles, I like thru-body porcelain for flooring but would use glazed ceramic for walls.

Good luck!
    -Pam

• Fori
    12 years ago

Toddlers aren't that bad. I have a batch myself. Plan to repaint more often than normally, though! :)

Don't worry about wall tiles--they'll be fine no matter what you get. The vanity tops won't get abuse until you have teenagers who start using "products".

The master bath is yours--the kids won't mess it up but you might! Get what you like and you won't mind cleaning it as much.

We have 60 year old oak floors in that naturalish oak color and it hides dirt well.

Linoleum (not vinyl) is a really nice flooring and would be great for a laundry and mudroom. But even vinyl if you can find one you like is really sensible for these areas and quite a bit cheaper. I used Marmoluem brand linoleum in my kitchen and it held up to everything except an errant knife and could have been repaired. That floor was a major play area for some reason.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Toddlers aren't that bad. I have a batch myself.

Yep, the real damage starts at age five and runs till they leave home, by which time they're slamming real cars into real walls and trees, begging bail money, "loans" and alibis.

Anything that can't stand a little--okay, a lot--of spilled juice, gouging, scratching and cutting is at risk. Pour your walls and build you furniture from concrete.

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

Ditto on the idea of staying with lighter-toned wood floors. My daughter had beautiful rosewood floors (very dark) installed throughout her remodeled home and they show all the detritus her two toddlers strew around. Also, scratches to the floor (yes, they will happen as the kids shove around chairs and such with grit under the legs) show up much more noticeably than with lighter floors.

• pam29011
    12 years ago

fori brings up a good point - linoleum! It's softer underfoot than tile, easier to clean (no grout joints) and if the room in question is under 12' (wide or long) you can get it in one piece with no seams (it comes on 12' wide rolls, or as smaller planks). But it held up to school kids for years in elementary schools across the country. I love the stuff, we have a piece in our vintage 1960's bathroom & it still looks & works great.

I think Marmoleum brand is even low VOC, which is nice since toddlers are closer to the floor than the rest of us :)

I would look for marmoleum/linoleum for the mudroom and laundry room, especially if you can get it in sheets (no seams) and even think about it for bathroom floors. If you bathe your kids by kneeling/sitting on the floor while they're in the tub ... your knees & back will thank you for not going with ceramic tile :)