Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front Door Locksets

Posted by ejr2005 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 8, 09 at 15:04

We're putting an new entry on our home and have to pick the lockset. We'd like something that looks really nice - worth a bit of a splurge - and a little rustic. Right now we're debating between a Baldwin and an Emtek. It's an entry that will only be used for guests - we usually come in the basement.

I've heard that the Baldwin locks have better mechanisms. But we like the look of the Emtek better. I read in an old thread on this site that Emtek uses the Schlage lock mechanism and they aren't as good as the Baldwin.

If we go with Baldwin we'd probably go with the Boulder in the Images series or the Stonebridge Bronze. In the Emtek we'd go with the Sandcaste Bronze tubular set. The Baldwins are much more expensive and we don't like the look as much. Since we won't be using this entry all that much, but are more interested in how it looks, I'm leaning toward the Emtek. Since I usually go for function over looks, I'm second guessing this decision.

Does anyone know about the quality of the Emtek lock?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front Door Locksets

Schlage is owned by Ingersol Rand and Emtek is owned by Assa Alba, a Swedish company.

Emtek uses the Schlage 'C' keyway in all of their locks. This makes their keys compatiable with the entire Schlage residential line. A "keyway" is the keyhole in a cylinder lock and is not the "lock mechanism". Compatibility between locks is important when different brands are used on the same job and you want one key to work all of the locks.

Schlage makes several levels of quality from Home Depot junk to high security commercial hardware so it is pointless to ask which name brand is "best".

Get what you like.

o

Thanks macv for the info. We'll hopefully make the final decision tomorrow.

o

I have Emtek exterior locksets on all my outside doors and have absolutely no qualms about the quality of the lock. Very solid. I think you can safely go with form AND function with this one. I like the sandcasted series - we have the Tuscany knobs on two interior doors and some of the bungalow styles on the others. :-)

o

Here's the sandcast bronze Emtek on our entry door after four years. I much prefer it to the shiny brass that used to be de rigeur.

Photobucket

o

I have Emtek passage sets and/or locks (deadbolt and pushbutton) on all my interior and exterior doors...probably 30-40 different pieces of hardware. They were installed 8 years ago and I have had no problems with any of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here