Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when re-painting over existing paint do you need to prime first?

Posted by lucik77 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 15:03

When painting over existing paint, is it important to put on a primer first? What are the pros/cons of doing it and not doing it if the color is staying in the same pale family?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when re-painting over existing paint do you need to prime fir

It depends on what type of paint you are covering, how clean the surface is, and a number of other things.

More details would help, especially what type of paint is there (and age) alkyd (oil)?
Latex (water based)?

Gloss level?

Cleanliness level?

o

sorry.. you're right.
here are additional details:
-relatively clean
-matte/flat finish
-benjamin moore regal paint (new); water based 3 year (old)
-water based

-

o

Wash the wall and paint.

o

got it - thanks a lot for your advice!

o

For some reason washing surfaces before painting seems to have become unpopular and is not always done.

ANY paint adheres better to a clean surface.

If TSP is still available in your area (some places restrict it since it has a lot of phosphorous) it is still the best heavy duty cleaner for surfaces to be re-painted.

It does take a wash and a separate rinse, but makes the surface clean to accept a new coat of paint.

o

Caveat: if the old paint is dark (or a lovely little girl's pink), you'll need to prime or use more than one coat of the new. [We have a room with a pinkish under-tinge; we'll deal with it someday.]

o

It also depends on what color you are trying to cover. Primer will help with less coats of paint to cover.

One bedroom was vibrant yellow when I moved in. I painted over it with apple green, but I can still tell that yellow if fighting to get out.

In the basement was blue and white faux finish. I used 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of new paint and I can still tell that blue is there. Argh!

o

"It also depends on what color you are trying to cover. Primer will help with less coats of paint to cover. "

Using primer for this reason is not really saving you anything (time or money).

Quality primer cost almost exactly the same amount as paint, and it takes just as much labor to prime as to paint.

o

TSP, or trisodium phosphate that Brickeye mentioned not only cleans the surface but "deadens" a gloss or shene which enables the adhesion of new paint to that surface. This is absolutly essential if you what to paint latex over oil based paint.

TSP is a powder that is mixed in warm water and applied with a sponge. It is most often available in hardwares and paint stores.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here