Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmtless

dual or single replacement for front entry door?

LISA
9 years ago

I bought a foreclosed house in the spring of 2013 as an investment. It was a foreclosure in a gated upscale community, and basically only in need of updating.
No holes or ripped out plumbing, but rather move in condition. (with the exception of the master bathroom shower, but that's a different story). The house was built in 1995.
I am looking into replacing the front entrance which currently is a cheap plain wood 36" x 96" single door with 14" glass block side lights. Totally dated looking and ugly.
The rough opening is 6'W x 8'H, which gives me options of what to do.
I have come to pick a dual door layout rather than a single with matching side lights (one on each side).
I have heard people mention the dual door layout often results in a poor seal, which of course is not good. Whether I go with dual doors or single & side lights, the glass will be full light. (The more glass the more beautiful, and yes, I know, less efficient).
My question Is, is this a wise choice?
If I go with the dual door style, am I setting myself up for problems?
Any hindsight I can get as a before sight would be great.

Thanks

and btw, I just discovered this forum, joined and it's my first post, but I'm sure not the last for I have many other questions as well.

Comments (2)