Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlis_gw

Tips from homeowners who've undergone a remodel

jlis
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm writing an article about remodeling a home and wanted to get some tips from people who have been there. Can you think of some lessons learned or tips for those who haven't yet embarked on a remodel but are thinking about doing so?

If you can think of something, please email me at: jswartwood@san.rr.com.

Thanks,

Joanna

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    16 years ago

Ask how long it is going to take and get it in writing!

We started a bathroom re model(6 by 15 room) last August 5th and it is nowhere near completed.Could have built a new house by now.

• jakkom
    16 years ago

Don't change your mind mid-stream, which happens more often than people like to admit. It causes big $$$.

Lynn's thread in the kitchen forum is a genuinely brilliant idea for all remodeling, not just kitchens! See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: A very good idea

• lpolk
    16 years ago

I have barely survived a 2+ year remodel. Was supposed to have been 9 months.

- Check, and double check, the experience, references and past work of the contractor. Take your time to choose the right one. If you don't feel right in your gut, then pass and find someone else. It can take a while to find the right one, especially since they are hard to get a hold of, but the busy ones are the ones worth waiting for.

- as the kitchen post said, Post plans IN EVERY ROOM of what the room is supposed to look like. It can be a pencil sketch but it should be a design sketch for accuracy. The subs do *not* meet together, so there needs to be a central place for info, the GC is the ultimate manager but can't be on top of everyone 24/7. The "decider" contact # should be on there too.

- whenever you meet with GC, this is a pain, but TAKE the time to write everything down during/right after. Maybe a digital recorder is helpful. You make SO many decisions no one will remember them all. E.g., meet weekly w/ GC with an updated print out of the weeks discussions, keep those in a binder on site.

- when people say "double the estimate" for a budget, believe them. If you have an old house, triple it! Something unforseen ALWAYS comes up, and despite what jKom says, you will likely change your mind somewhere(just from seeing it "up" and how it "really" works).

- Get a waiver of lien in your contracts. Honorable GCs will know what this is and will do it. This protects you if your GC does not pay his subs, the workers can put a lien on your house, even if you paid the GC. VERY important protection.

- drop by during the day unannounced from time to time. This seems mean, but I didn't want smoking in my house, people using my bathroom inside (use portapotty), or loud music outside disturbing my neighbors. Found all of the above "dropping by" when GC wasn't there and subs were working.

- Make sure they will cover all rugs/floors. they will likely scratch the floors, and will DEFINITELY scratch the walls. Go over what the "collateral damage" coverage will be in the contract (it may be none, but you should discuss up front.)

- know that it will be dusty so protect electronics, instruments, etc. even in rooms that are untouched. It gets VERY dirty!

Can you tell I could write a book? LOL. One last point, I have no advice for because every one is different, it WILL take a toll on your marriage/relationship! Try to be aware of that and have coping strategies beforehand, and figure out a fight dispute method because there is nothing worse than fighting in front of your poor GC who just needs a yes or a no! :)

• lpolk
    16 years ago

I almost forgot the most important thing:

JOIN GARDENWEB FORUMS! :)

The wealth of free "been-there-done-that" advice here is incredible, and the moral support is even more valuable.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

the moment something goes wrong, DOCUMENT it. Hopefully, your contractor will work with you to fix it. But if he doesn't, and things escalate in a bad way , you will need the documentation.

Just before demolition, use bright-orange duct tape and a Sharpie to label all the things you want to keep.

Create a holding bin for the workers to put all odd screws, light-switch plates, etc., in as they go; sort them out later. Ditto, create a place for the installation manuals for all appliances, etc.

During the interview process, and while checking reviews, focus on how your contractor wants to handle / has handled situations in which he screwed up.

• chisue
    16 years ago

GO BACK! IT'S A TRAP! (That's all you need to write.)

Seriously, people need to think what the remodel will end up costing. Include the time lost from from your life and the lives of your family and pets. Include the stress. If you are moving out, include the cost of a rental -- and the stress of living 'away from home'. If you're going to live IN the house, that's not going to be real 'home life' either, for AS LONG AS IT TAKES (and it will take a lot longer than you think).

What will the end product be? Will your 'remodeled' home be worth as much as you've invested to remodel it? Will the new mesh well with the old? Will the house still 'fit' in your neighborhood?

Would you be ahead to move if you need more space or newer features? Could you teardown and build something that's not 'partly' new, but ALL new? It can be cheaper per square foot -- no 'surprises' lurking behind that old wall. Any contractor would prefer to start fresh. It's very difficult to know what will throw a wrench into a remodeling plan. (There's also the 'might as well' factor to consider: "As long as we're doing 'this', we might as well do 'that', too.")

There's updating, and there's rebulding an entire wing or the whole house. Don't leap into remodleing without thinking about what the ultimate value of your creation. If you're planning something BIG, it wouldn't hurt to talk to a realtor first. It's your money...and you're going to sell this masterpiece one day. (To that end, be sure you are building to code and that no buyer is going to worry about how the place was plumbed, electrified, whatever.)

• scott2006
    16 years ago

Take your time selecting a contrator. get at least 3 est.

Ask to see his or her work. As they are going over the work to be done ( on the est.) have someone who knows something about building there with you as a silent observer to try to make sure the contractor has the expertise needed or can hire it out for you.

Scott

• Dora Vann Snider
    16 years ago

Don't stay in the house if you are having extensive work done. We did and it was like a living nightmare. It was in February, very cold, and we both worked. We had a path to get to our bed as they were expanding the closets in two of the bedrooms. We had new windows put in plus remodeling the master bath.They painted the entire house. The kitchen was completely gone so we used a microwave and kept the coffeepot out. (Ate out completely) Everything was boxed in our dining room up to the ceiling. Another path led to the computer. The refrigerator was in the family room.

The worst part of all was that one man built our cabinets and installed them. The next man stained them. It smelled so bad that we could not even come in the house for several days. You could smell the stain outside on the driveway. I would never let anyone do that again. The smell went through our frig and ruined everything in it. It went through the boxes of food in the dining room and we had to toss probably $400 of food. The meat in the freezer was gone, too. The weather was bad and the windows could not be opened very long at a time. I did get some gorgeous cabinets after all that pain.

We are going to remodel our two baths after the first of the year and there will be a definite date set up to have it done in writing. On the first remodel it was said to only take a couple of months as his crews were not that busy. It stretched into about 4-1/2 months. They would go somewhere else to work and not show up again for maybe a week. We were miserable. We tried to be good sports about it and not complain too much, but it wore thin by the time we were through.

• dchall_san_antonio
    16 years ago

We lived in the house for two remodels totaling 30 months and including the kitchen, both bathrooms, a bedroom, and the addition of a new room. The paint fumes were the worst but not a serious problem.

Don't even think of looking for a contractor until you have a design on paper. The design needs to cover as is, demolition, structural, mechanical, roof lines, plumbing, and electrical. If you don't think these things all the way through before you start, you will never know where the end is or be able to estimate when you will get to the end.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Buy a big gun and shoot yourself now :o) It's really easier on everyone involved...

• emcee
    16 years ago

Hi,

Although my contractor is wonderful and willing to re-do things. I am paying for every nail and screw he buys which I was not aware of. I knew I'd be buying big ticket items but not aware I'd have extra bills.

This is my first remodel so I did not know what to expect of his contract/estimate.

Now I know the contract was exclusively labor only. I wish contractors would say what they were going to do and supply and then have a section called "Homeowner Responsibility". My guy did not have this on his contract so every day he leaves me a bill when he goes to the store.

Hope this will help some of the people who are just getting estimates.

Marilyn

• estimator
    16 years ago

It amazes me the problems everyone has with their Contractor.

I work for a large remodeling firm here in Florida. We are a desigh/Build contractor. 95% of our work are referrals.
    We are not inexpensive, in fact, we are probably anywhere from 10-15% higher than most remodelors.

Here is where we are different.

Before I even estimate a project, I verify all conditions.
    All the Subs that are working on the project, show up to do their verification also.

Our Contract includes a detailed work scope, including all the cut sheets of every item selected and where it is going. Colors, sizes and types.

After the contract is signed, the Super, Production Manager and Sales person reads the proposal with the estimate and Plans and walks the site without the homeowwner to become familiar with it.

Then we meet with the homeowner and do a precon on the job site. We read the contract, line by line with the Plans and make sure they understand everything. If something is wrong, we mark the contract and Plans and initial it.

Schedule - We provide a detailed Production Schedule covering every activity and the date it will start and end. We also give the Client 500.00 a week if we miss our schedule by our fault.

We have weekly meetings with the homeowner, Superintendent, Sales person and Production Manager. Any griefs or changes are discussed.

Warranty - 3 years on workmanship, not the standard 1 year.

We have a Superintendent on the job 100% of the time when anyone is in the house. No exceptions.

Property Protection - We cover everything and put up dust walls. We will not let a sub drive on the driveway with oil leaking. In some cases where they have to get close, we lay down plywood on the driveway.

Our main concern is the homeowner. We try and make the remodeling job as inobtrusive as possible.

At the end of the job, we provide a closing package which includes all colors, final selections, appliance info and warrantees. We also provide pictures of the job from start to finish for their records.

There are other services we provide, but that would take another page.

• texasredhead
    16 years ago

We are master electricians who do considerable residential and commercial work on our own. However, we also do work for two different general contractors. One GC is Mr. Neat and insists the job site be cleaned up at the close of every day. The other GC keeps a job site like a pig pen. Guess which job site is easiest for subs to work in?

We nearly always have interface with the home owner as he/she sees changes they want to make with regard to fixtures, etc. We tell them we can accomodate them but refer them to the GC who keeps the purse strings.

Another thing, Mr. Neat is nearly always on the job site as he also manages some of his own crews. Mr. Pig Pen, maybe once or twice a week. Mr. Pig Pen actually manages larger and more elaborate jobs and relays on a cadre of excellent subs including us. Mr. Neat is also excellent but he tends to micromanage job sites and do a lot of work himself with 2 or 3 helpers.

As electricians, we are basically involved from the time of framing (rough-in) to the completion when we install fixtures and wall plates after all the finished walls so we see the jobs unfold. In both cases, neither GC starts another job until the current job is done. Just some thoughts.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource