Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamdar_gw

Oak Trim and Staircase

jamdar
12 years ago

Hello. I am looking for advice on updating the Golden Oak (GAG) stair railing in my house. I have spent the last few weeks painting all my trim (yes painting oak imagine that) a warm chocolate brown (saw it in a show home and loved it). My doors are also painted the same brown. So thats alot of chocolate. I love the look of white staircases but i have no white trim anywhere in my house. What color to paint the staircase? I read in one blog that to darken wood you can use Minwax stain and topcoat in one. I started staining the staircase yesterday and i dont know if i like it, the first coat looks really streaky, i used a walnut color. Anyone try this technique? if so how did it work?

Comments (4)

• User
    12 years ago

The color is in the polyurethane finish so it is not very durable and will probably need need several coats.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

You might look into a wood conditioner or sanding sealer before continuing with the staining/finish.

• jamdar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I would like to post some pictures, but i cant figure out how. I have stopped the Mixwax application, as i didnt like the colour or Look and although i bought satin finish....its really shiny like gloss, ick! My thoughts are to maybe paint the railing white and the hand rail and base the chocolate brown. Im not sure about the white because as i said i dont have any other white trim or paint in my house except the ceilings. Any suggestions?

• User
    12 years ago

You need to stir the finish in the can---all finishes are gloss. Additives are used to make satin, matte, or flat.

Use a stick, not shaking the can to mix.

And, about every fifteen minutes restir, as the additives will sink to the bottom---leaving the gloss left.