Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serendipity01_gw

Pneumatic nailer recommendation?

serendipity01
12 years ago

I am planning on installing baseboard and wall trim in our den. I want to buy a lightweight, cheap but decent nail gun to do the job. I'll probably use it very infrequently after this project, if ever, thus my hesitation in spending much on it. Then again, I don't want something that keeps jamming.

Finally, what size nails would I buy for this job and do the guns require the use of an air compressor? we do have one, just wondering how the thing works!

thanks,

claire

Comments (20)

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Is there a reason why a hammer wouldn't work for such a small project?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Is there a reason why a hammer wouldn't work for such a small project?"

A persons that does not install trim on a daily basis is liable to end up with a much better job using a nailer (and anyone that does it regularly uses a nailer anyway, wonder why?).

'Rosebuds' are a PITA to rework.

• serendipity01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think that I'll have a more professional looking installation with a gun.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

For a project that miniscule, i'd get a reputable finish carpenter to come in and do it for you. They have all the tools and it will be done nice. It will save you money in the long run and no offense but if you have to ask about fastener sizes to be used, it's not a diy for you. A good work trim job comes with experience.

• barbcollins
    12 years ago

We got a Black & Decker battery powered nail gun for trim. It works well. Automatically sets the nails.

Lightweight.
    No need for a compressor.
    Great for small jobs.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

There are nailers that don't require the use of a air compressor but they are more expensive than the pneumatic type. You'll need an 18 gauge nailer and a 16 gauge will work as well. It will just make a slightly larger hole.

You might check Craigslist or eBay. Quite a few people purchase nailers for a project or two and then sell them. One feature you'll want to look for is a way to adjust the depth of nailing. There are few out there that don't offer that option and you'll have to adjust the air pressure instead.

While they look easy to use (and are) nailers are still dangerous tools. Make sure you read the safety instructions first. Nails don't know the difference between wood and skin. Practice with some scraps as well.

• User
    12 years ago

DeWalt, Senco, Porter Cable, and Stanley Bostich are probably the easiest to find.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"i'd get a reputable finish carpenter to come in and do it for you."

Like you can find one find one for such a small job.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Arrow makes a electric Brad Nailer, onlu problem from my end is it uses a max length of 1 1/4" brads and for base trim and window and door casing I pref12 1 1/2" or 2". You can use the shorter brads from the gun but you will need to use a few more brads. make certain that most hit a stud if possible and maybe use a little construction adhesive to help as well. Another cjoice and what I would probably use myeself would be what are called "Finish" or "Trim Head Screws" a drywall type screw with a smaller head like a finish nail. Fill it with a little putty and paint!

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

"Like you can find one find one for such a small job".

Maybe that's how it is in your neck o' the woods, but out here it's good for your reputation to take on small, "side jobs". Shows folks you want to work and willing to take on smaller projects keeps you busy in the long run, especially when things get tight. I enjoy the extra dinero as well.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Maybe that's how it is in your neck o' the woods,"

Northern Virginia is so expensive most trade workers live a pretty decent distance from their work.

Driving over an hour each way makes small jobs a non-starter.

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

You can usually find a package deal at the box stores. Nailers and portable compressor for a decent price.That compressor comes in very handy.There are a myriad of tools that you can use with it.
    Found this on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Porter-Finish-Stapler-Compressor/dp/B0034HLMOY/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1321916191&sr=1-2

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Two thumbs up for Paslode. I've got both framing and finish nailers. No cords, no compressor, just a battery and a CO2 cartridge that fires the nails in.

I bought both of mine used off ebay for about 50-60% of new retail. If you've just got one job, then buy it and resell it...very active market. Or just rent one for a day or two from Home Depot.

I typically use 2" nails, to penetrate the 1/2" trim, 1/2" drywall, and into the stud 1".

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Two thumbs up for Paslode. I've got both framing and finish nailers. No cords, no compressor, just a battery and a CO2 cartridge that fires the nails in."

They are very handy for smaller jobs.

The weight is pretty close to an air powered nailer when you add in the length of hose you are holding up while using the nailer.

The higher cost is worth not having to haul around a compressor for smaller jobs.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

We have a full compliment of Paslodes at work. While they are capable and often very handy, they don't have the reliability or precision (in placing the nail) of an air-powered nailer.
    For such a small job, rent an air rig or hand nail.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"or precision"

Never had that problem with the Paslodes.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

No cords, no compressor, just a battery and a CO2 cartridge that fires the nails in.

The fuel cell isn't not CO2 but rather a flammable gas mixture. The battery pack provides the spark, much like a gasoline engine and also runs a small fan to clear the exhaust gasses.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"a flammable gas mixture"

Butane.

They work very well.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The "safety" mechanism of the Paslode finish guns (18 ga brad gun and 15 ga angled finish nailer are the ones the Co. owns) is so heavily sprung that you must use the neoprene rubber pad to avoid denting the trim; then you have about as much chance of the slick rubber tip walking as you press the gun to the work as not. And the tip pad being a big blob of rubber obscures a large area and leaves to the imagination where the drive pin is going to hit.
    A regular pneumatic gun has a much lighter spring on the safety, more conducive to hitting the target 10 out of 10.
    Casey

• mike_kaiser_gw
    12 years ago

According to the MSDS 1-butene (25-80%) and propene (20-75%).

They do work well but cost more than their "corded" cousins and require regular maintenance. The fuel cells have a finite shelf-life and the battery charging. Probably best for a professional who needs or wants cordless freedom.