Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marisany

Wavy drywall seam between sloped wall, ceiling

marisany
13 years ago

Our attic is being renovated, and this morning I noticed that the seams between the ceiling and the sloped walls look very bad. I took a photo of the worst place. I'm soliciting opinions on whether I should complain to the contractor about it. I'd also like to know what would be involved in fixing it.

I'm thinking it will look awful when the sloping wall is painted blue and the ceiling white.

Comments (11)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Sloppy work.

Have them fix it.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I agree. Our bedroom was like this when we bought the house 12 years ago. It's getting worse now, as the tape is coming away from the wall board. But the thought of the mess involved with fixing it properly is so overwhelming that I am betting it will be done in the year 2050 when I go to the rest home!

Speak now, or forever hold you peace.

• joed
    13 years ago

It's a function of a poor tape job. The tapers should have been able to keep a straight line. The fix is more mud to get it straight. They should not need to remove the drywall to fix this.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"It's a function of a poor tape job. The tapers should have been able to keep a straight line. The fix is more mud to get it straight. They should not need to remove the drywall to fix this."

Tis depends entirely on WHY the bulge is there.
    If it is form a roof rafter that is not even it is liable to take removal of the drywall, some trimming of the offending rafter, and then a new drywall over the area.

The underside of roof rafters is NOT a good substrate for plaster or drywall.
    The loading flex limits are often large enough to allow cracking to occur.

• marisany
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll talk to the contractor about it. On the old house forum, I was told that the issue is the old framing, and that without re-framing I cannot expect a straight line.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"I was told that the issue is the old framing, and that without re-framing I cannot expect a straight line."

Or a contractor who knows when strapping is required.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

BTW-your window is just beautiful!

• Billl
    13 years ago

You might have misunderstood in the cross post. You don't need to reframe the whole roof. You do need to create a nailing surface for the drywall that is relatively straight. Since drywall is the same thickness across the sheet, if you put it over a wavy surface, you get wavy drywall.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

If you don't get it remudded, just have the painters paint in a straight line instead of following the wavy angle. It'll disappear a bit.

• drywall_diy_guy
    13 years ago

This is a common problem when taping wide angles using ordinary paper tape. But it is very noticeable! To fix this you (or someone) will have to remove the tape they put on. Then you (or someone) retape using a rigid continuous tape product like Straitflex. See site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taping Wide Angles

• uniberp
    13 years ago

Maybe have a talented plasterer put in a curved cove instead.