Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

Cape Stair re-design

kirkhall
12 years ago

Okay, Renovator, here is what I learned at my building dept this morning.

They use IRC (2009) code. My current stairway is almost 45 degrees--way too steep to meet code. And, while I don't have to replace it, I would like to if I can, so that it is a safer stairway.

Can you help me with this?

My current stair way needs to get from floor 1 to upstairs which is 8'11" (finished floor to finished floor). Currently, I have a 2 part stair--landing at the bottom of the stair under the lowest part of the cape roof. The total run length, including landing (3') is 11'. The landing is 23" off the main floor. And there are 2 steps to it (well, one step, plus it. How do you count that?) Lower floor ceiling height is 8', but above the landing there is an extra 12" since the ceiling is vaulted along the roofline of the cape up the stair well. Total current stairwell "hallway" width is 39", but current railing placement reduces it to only 31" (yes, there is no way at this point that my stairs would EVER pass any code. My house is only a 1982 house though)

In anycase, this is what I am thinking...

If, instead of a landing, I have a winder, I can get at least one more step in, reducing each step rise. But, is this enough?

I am having trouble mostly because it is a winder, rather than just straight measure, divide, etc.

I need to be able to have a hallway under the stairs and right now I do because, although the stairs end at only 11' from the exterior wall, the interior wall is 13'1" from the exterior wall. (Officially, there may be a little more room for runs--that is what I am saying--as long as I can still get a hallway under the stringers.

Are you able to picture this?

Any help with this winder situation, and whether or not it is even possible within our current layout to fit "to code" stairs in would be fabulous.

Comments (3)