Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to open cabinet without pulls?

Posted by bickybee (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 12:57

We are having custom cabinets for storage built in several areas of our house.

I like the sleek modern look of cabinets that blend with the wall, essentially creating a wall of storage. I would prefer not to have pulls or knobs or at least have very low profile hardware, but don't want the cabinets to be difficult to open.

Any suggestions? Photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: hall cabinets

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to open cabinet without pulls?

You can get touch type cabinet latches that hold the doors closed until you push gently, then release the doors to open part way.

You then grab an edge of the door and open the rest of the way.

o

Brickeyee, my contractor says those kind won't work in these cabinets for some reason. I'll have to find out why, because that was my first choice.

o

Brickeyee, my contractor says those kind won't work in these cabinets for some reason. I'll have to find out why, because that was my first choice.

o

Sorry for the double post.

My contractor is concerned that the cabinets are too tall for the touch type cabinet latches but we're going to try them and see if they will work.

Brickeyee, do you have a particular brand you can recommend, especially since my cabinets are tall?

o

Your doors are pretty large to use with single mag latches. Tall doors over 44" wide are more prone to warpage, so you usually see pantry type cabinets with upper and lower doors. Your cabinet maker should split the tall doors into multiple doors with multiple latches. It shouldn't be difficult to do at all.

o

live wire, these cabinets are in a hallway. They are tall but not very wide. They're not pantry cabinets and I like the look of the tall doors in this location. I prefer not to break them up by splitting the doors because I'm trying to make them disappear, more or less, into the wall.

I'm going to try installing more than one latch on each door and see if that will work. Not sure if they will all unlatch at the same time when you press on them though. What do you think?

o

"Not sure if they will all unlatch at the same time when you press on them though."

It is going to depend on how rigid the doors are.

If the door flexes enough it may not transmit the force to the touch latch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here