Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fix cracking ceiling with radiant heating wires?

Posted by steve22802 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 8, 11 at 12:00

I have an older house (about 40 years old) and there are a few spots where there are cracks in the ceiling that I'd like to fix. The problem is that it's not just a regular drywall ceiling. There is a layer of drywall, then radiant heating wires imbedded in something really hard, it seems almost like concrete. In a couple places it seems like the concrete layer is separating from the drywall and dropping down slightly at the crack location. So somehow I need to raise the it back up before I patch it so it doesn't make a bump, but I don't want to start breaking the concrete layer up even more. Any suggestions?

By the way, the ceiling heat is no longer working in the room that needs the ceiling repairs so I don't need to worry about hitting the wires with drywall screws.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fix cracking ceiling with radiant heating wires?

With the adhesive failing, the only permanant fix is to remove all of the old layers and install new drywall. Yes, it's messy and unpleasant, but once you are done with that job, you are DONE with fixes. Any patchwork type of repair will just involve continually patchwork repairs as the glue continues to fail in other spots.

o
RE: How to fix cracking ceiling with radiant heating wires?

Thanks for the advice GreenDesigns. I already did a full ceiling replacement in my bathroom and yes it was a terrible mess. The other room is much bigger and it's difficult to even contemplate ripping out that whole ceiling. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here