Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what qualifies as 'good' paint? quality/health/longevity

Posted by lucik77 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 11:45

So far, most of the paint contractors I've spoken to said that they will not work with any paint that is below the Benjamin Moore Regal line. They all seem to unanimously recommend it.
Do you feel the same way?
What about health aspects? Some paints are supposedly better (less toxic) for your health - which ones are those? Are they really better?
How can I balance quality/health aspects/longevity/value?

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what qualifies as 'good' paint? quality/health/longevity

100% acrylic is the good stuff.

o

I know several pro painters who only use Sherwin Williams products.

Paint is paint is paint.

10 year warrantied paint is usually better quality than 5 year warranty.

18 year warranty is just too good since most folks don't keep an interior color that long.

Acrylic latex is water based, has low VOC(odors/out gassing compounds) so it is healthier. There are several types, gloss, semi gloss, matte, eggshell, and othersa that signify the dried surface condition of the paint. Matte is dull and relatively rough so it collects dirt/etc where gloss is shiny and does not.

Eggshell is the type many designers like for interior walls since is is easily cleaned and durable while not being too shiny.

o

The quality of paint is primarily dependent on it's ingredients. There is no latex in latex paint; it's just a generic term for water based paint made with various polymer binders (acrylic, acrylic acetate, vinyl acetate, etc.) that vary in quality and cost. For the finish coat 100% acrylic is the best and most expensive but it is difficult to tell what is actually in the paint because manufacturers don't like to reveal that on the can and they often change the ingredients as the market changes.

If you care, buy the expensive stuff.

o

Paint is not paint. I've gone through the same thoughts as you. I will ONLY use Mythic paint. It's ZERO VOC, doesn't stink, goes on well, washes well, and holds up well. If you cannot get Mythic and are going with lighter colors, SW Harmony is a good second choice....I have used almost all different paint brands and these are my favs.

o

Thank you very much for all of your advice! I'm meeting with the painter tomorrow and will tell him all the good stuff I just learned :) Thank you!!!!!!

o

I'm so surprised no one has mentioned Ben Moore Aura paints! They're my absolute favorite... and a lot of the painters I know use them as well. It's low VOC and has incredible levelling and coverage.

o

thanks for your feedback! i too like aura but its more expensive so i settled for the regal line.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here