Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyca_gw

Estimate Cost of remodelling interior

amyca
12 years ago

Hi,

We are in process of buying this house built in 1964 which is in original condition. It is located in santa clara, california. It still is in liveable condition since they put new entry door, new carpet, new cooktop, it is painted recently. Problem is that we don't really like any of the work which was done recently, so planning on remodelling whole interior which will include all below. We are not sure if we should go with complete remodel at once or do it in installments.How much ballpark estimate we are looking it. We are looking at economy (moderate not very luxurious) remdel. Like we may buy all appliances and garage door from costco.

Can someone provide ballpark estimate on cost and time involved for the whole upgrade and suggest which order we should go with remodel, like if we are upgrading plumbing, we should get bath remodel done at same time.

Thanks.

Amy

House is ~1500 sq ft built in 1964 4bd/2ba

-Removal of popcorn ceiling (might contain asbestos)

-Copper re-pipe

-Electrical upgrade (grounding)

-Install recessed lights in kitchen, family & living room

-Replace carpet with hardwood floors in all rooms

-Install new baseboards in all rooms

-Install crown molding in all rooms

-Replace all doors (8 in total) with 6 panel doors

-Gargage is converted to living area but it is easily

reversible, from outside it is looks like garage with

garage door but inside they put the drywall to cover it

and put light fixtures where garage door automatic slider

will go.

It will be knocking of drywall and install new garage door

with electrical.

-Remodel kitchen

Replace ceramic tile countertop with granite

Replace all appliances

Replace cabinets

Replace vinyl floor with tiles

-Remodel bath-1 (very small bathroom 5x8)

-Replace small old vanity

-It has very ole shower stall, I'm not sure if I sgould

replace that too.

-Replace floor from vinyl to tiles.

-Replace light fixtures.

-Remodel bath-2 (not very big either)

-Replace vanity

-Has old bathtub, not sure if I would replace that.

-Replace vinyl flooring to tiles

-Replace light fixtures.

-Renovate fireplace, put marble around it and put new

mantle, maybe build bookshelf around it.

-Also we have hot water heater inside a closet in family

room, we are thinking of moving outside in garage maybe,

I'm not sure if it is good idea and cost involved. Same

goes with hot air furnace which is in hallway, should we

move it outside too.

Comments (5)

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

Whooah. that's a big list.

First off, a legal garage must not have air circulating from it to the house in the heating/cooling system. This is a safety in case a car was left running the house would not fill with CO gas. So if you want to be able to convert back, do a separate system (like a minisplit heat pump) for the garage, and do a standard heating/cooling system for the other parts of the home.

I think you need to do a generous amount of research about building costs and local codes to have any possible hope of a realistic budget.

Also you didn't say if you will be contracting out, doing it your self, or a combination of that . This makes a difference. If DIY, make sure you can afford to switch over to having things done by others if you get into something and it turns out to be over your head.

Good luck.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

150-200K would be a good ballpark with medium low end finishes. Double it for high end finishes or expensive labor. You're talking about almost every expensive portion of the house that exists, plus all of the expensive mechanicals. You are in CA, which is one of the most expensive locations in which to do any remodeling because of the real estate costs and regulation.

Drop back and make sure you really like this house. Because it sure seems like you don't if you want to change so much. And you need to asses your DIY abilities as that can help to stretch your budget. For an older home, the least expensive part of it is usually the purchase price. Even though this isn't that old of a house, it does seem to need a lot of care and feeding. You're going to have to be on board with that being your lifestyle for the next 5-10 years unless you have the budget to do everything up front before you move in.

• Billl
    12 years ago

So, basically you want to build a new house?

If you want a ballpark figure, take the tax value of the house and subtract off the land value.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Haha Billl! If I did that, it would be 28,000 in my area. It really depends on how your taxes are done, but by far, our land is worth way more than any improvements to it in our county.

• PeterH2
    12 years ago

"150-200K would be a good ballpark with medium low end finishes."

We live in Redwood City (just up the road from the OP). Based on costs I have been given for work we want to do, I agree with live wire oak's numbers. Given the insane labor costs around here, you can save huge amounts by doing some of the work yourselves.

Sounds like you could easily do this in stages, so long as you are mindful of potential whole-house issues like electrical code (if you replace the main panel - which you should - you may get forced to make other changes downstream).