Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenstl_gw

staircase from carpet to steps questions

kenstl
9 years ago

I have an atrium ranch home that i would like to update the staircase to hard wood steps and would like some clarification on some of the codes i have read about in other posts. we are the second owner of the home so i do not know if the main level hardwood floors were installed at new construction or added by the prior owner.

stairs have carpet, and the treads are 2x lumber or 1.5" tall. I have attached a couple of photos of the top and bottom step. we have carpet over concrete on lower level and hardwood floors on main level.

top step is 8" from top of tread to top of main floor (there is currently carpet on top tread), bottom step is 7 1/2" from top of tread to top of carpet (which will remain)

will this be possible with a retrofit or new treads?

Comments (5)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

A couple of questions; "top step is 8" from top of tread to top of main floor," when you say "top of tread," is this from the top of the 2x or top of carpet?

And the same question applies here; "bottom step is 7 1/2" from "top of tread" to top of carpet" and is the carpet on the slab padded or glue-down?

• kenstl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bottom step is top of wood tread (carpet pulled back) to tom of carpet at basement floor (7.5")

Top was measured from hardwood floor to top of carpet on the first step down. (8")

I am wondering if the hardwood on the main floor was installed after the staircase or if it was just off at install.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

"Bottom step is top of wood tread (carpet pulled back) to tom of carpet at basement floor (7.5")"

It would appear that they would be close to equal, depending upon the carpet padding, at the basement, carpet too carpet, as the top rise;"Top was measured from hardwood floor to top of carpet on the first step down. (8")"

Again, depending upon the total thickness of the carpet and pad, when you replace the carpet on the staircase with the finish floor product, you'll need to make adjustment in consecutive rises, as you proceed up.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Residential stair code requirements vary quite a bit and have become more restrictive in the past 10 years so you need to tell us where the project is located or the codes that apply and when it was built.

The usual maximum riser height is 7.75" but it might be 8.25". If the stair met the code at the time it was built, it is still legal. If you rebuild the stair it will be up to the local inspector to determine if the old or new code applies. Sometimes it is a good idea to claim you are "repairing" the treads rather than rebuilding the stair.

In this case the only way to change the treads is to remove the 2x rough treads and install hardwood over plywood to maintain the riser height and hope that is currently legal or the local inspector will allow it.

You must also be concerned with the tread size (minus the nosing). The usual code requirement is 10".

• busymumsy
    8 years ago

Did you make this change yet? How did the spacing work?