Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which goes on first: baseboards or floor?

Posted by wi-sailorgirl (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 8:48

We're installing a floating floor in our bedrooms. Our GC insists that the baseboards are supposed to go on first, but that makes no sense to me as it seems like it would be much easier to put them on after the floor (so you wouldn't have to account for the raised height of the floor).

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which goes on first: baseboards or floor?

These floating floors need about a half inch around the perimeter of the room to allow for expansion. Typically the baseboard is installed over the top of the floor after the flooring is installed to hide the expansion strip.

o

I've put down two floating floors, pergo and wood and the baseboard gets installed at the end to hide the expansion strip.

o

Thanks to both of you ... confirming what I was thinking.

o

Don't put in the baseboards first!!! That's how it was done originally in our home and now that we're renovating it's a major PITA to try to get them out without wrecking the flooring. We have to carefully and tediously slice them with a Fyn tool. Ugh.

o

That is why it should take more than $150 and a weekend of your time to become a GC! Not to offend GCs. I'm one too, but seriously...my grandma could become one if she wanted too...seriously

o

Well I have no problem with my GC, who has been in the business for, well, a lot longer than I've been alive probably.

I talked to him about it again and he's just sensitive about the floors because we've been busting their butts about being nice to the floors throughout this whole project and I think he was hoping to finish everything but the shoe molding in the bedrooms so he wouldn't be walking on the floors at all. I'm not worried about it. They seem to be tough as nails and we'll cover them a bit when we're done.

Anyway, thanks all!

o

It's better to do the floor first, but some installers leave existing baseboards and add a quarter-round moulding to hide the expansion gap.

This is why I'm installing my floating floor myself.

o

In new construction it is normal for the baseboards to go on before the floor goes in, I think mostly because that is simply the order in which it is done. The floors are usually last.

It you don't want gaps between the baseboard and the floor, put the floor in first.

o

In new construction it is normal for the baseboards to go on before the floor goes in

That's absolutely the way I do it on new houses. I give the trim carpenter samples of the flooring that is going in so he can leave space for the flooring to slip under the baseboards. It works out nice and tight and I use only 1/8 rounds, sometimes none at all to close the gap.

On renos I tend to do it the other way as there is so much random settling of the floors.

(BTW, a builder's licence here costs $3,000 and a several hour exam.)

o
RE: Which goes on first:followup

Followup: I should add that my reason for putting in the bb first is to minimize damage to the finished floors from the trim carpenters working on top of them.

o

"The baseboard will cover gap, but the floor will still expand and contract imperceptibly with temperature changes."

It is not temperature changes but humidity changes that make wood floors expand and contract.

A floating floor acts as a single large piece of wood, and the movement can be rather large, even with cross grain construction.

A strip hardwood floor has only one edge of each strip fastened, and the other edge is free to move with humidity.
This is why the gaps between strips are normally larger during heating season (low humidity) and close up nearly completely during cooling season (high humidity).

Each board moves a small fraction of an inch, so the movement is spread over the entire floor.

Boards do not appreciably change length, just width and thickness.

o

It would only be damage if you plan to nail it on the floor.

I was referring to the unintentional scratches, scrapes and dings incurred when trades are walking, dragging equipment and dropping things on top of new wood floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here