Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesinsf

How to reuse cinder blocks?

lesinsf
13 years ago

I have just finished taking down a massive fireplace chimney made of cinder blocks and clay flue tiles. I am trying very hard to minimize the impact of this work on the local landfill.

So I am turning to my wise GardenWeb friends for suggestions on how to creatively resuse the cinder blocks. They are slimmer than usual -- only 3.75" deep by 7.5" high by 17" long. I probably have at least 100 of them. My lot is only a quarter acre (including the house), but it slopes on two sides so there are opportunities for terraces &/or steps.

A few specific questions:

- are there ways to use broken pieces or should I just save the blocks that survived the demolition intact?

- is there a trick to cutting the rough edges off of broken blocks to make smaller blocks?

- when can the blocks be dry stacked and when is mortar required

- does it matter if there is creosote still stuck to some of the blocks?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and any pictures!

Comments (2)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

I don't have any suggestions for using them but if you want to give them away, Craigslist has a section for free stuff. Just make sure you're clear about what you're giving away.

• joed
    13 years ago

Broken ones can be used as fill anywhere you want a gravel or stone walkway or drive way.