Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mail Slot thru wall

Posted by pchow (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 07 at 2:40

I want to install a mail slot thru an exterior wall rather than thru the front door.
However, I'm having a hard time finding a sleeve or wall liner that is deep enough to cover up the exposed cut-out. Since we have stucco, I'm thinking our wall thickness is around 6".
I found one site that carries wall liners from 4" to 8" deep, but the opening size is too big for the mail slot I like.
Any ideas where to shop online? Or alternative ways to cover up the exposed walls?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mail Slot thru wall

Why not make something from wood?

o

Whenever I see something about through-the-wall mail slots I remember when our neighborhood's "bad seed kid" disconnected our next-door neighbor's hose from its sprinkler and stuck the hose into their mail slot. Or the Halloween that some jerk pushed dog poop into ours.

o

jon1270 is on the right track. Why not get your mail slot, then build a box out of some 1/4 or 1/2" birch or other decent wood. Cut a hole into which you can fit that box and nail it into a stud on one side. Then insert the inner and outer mail slots over that. It will be smooth enough for mail to slide in.

o

I took my mail slot out. Too cold in the winter.

I got a nice big locking mail box, outside the front door.

Works great.

Scott

o

Thanks everyone for your responses.
I decided to take the easy way out and just installed a wall mounted mail box near the front door. It works!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here