Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing the wall btw kitchen and dining area

Posted by punapat (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 0:50

Hi, We are remodeling our condo.. it has 9 x 9 kitchen and 8x9 dining area. there are two entry to the kitchen. one from dining area and one from living area.. I am thinking to remove the remaingin wall between dining and kitchen and make it more open and make an island or peninsula... another thing is right now the refrigerator is in the kitchen..I am thinking to move that refrigerator and make couter top bigger with few more cabinet and shift refrigerator to one corner of that dining area.. that corner is right beside the stove and from there right now is a entry from dining to kitchen..
moving refrigerator and removing wall to have paninsula or island is a good idea? give me some idea for island or paninsula... I will try to put a map..thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing the wall btw kitchen and dining area

It can be a good idea, but we would need a floor plan to be able to see if functionality would be improved. Taking down a wall won't be cheap and you need a structural engineer in to see if it's load bearing and design the support if it is. Then you will have to relocate all of the plumbing, electrical, and HVAC located in that wall, plus deal with the flooring and ceiling transitions between the two rooms. Unless you are a massivly skilled DIYer, it's time to interview a few contractors. You're looking in the neighborhood of 30-50K for a low end kitchen remodel with structural changes. How much DIY you can bring to the table will keep the project towards the lower figure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here